Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone advise me please.
I have a GWR diesel railcar (R2768) . The motor does not run as of today 24th Jan. Stripping it down there are no solder tags on the motor (X9674). It is in a plastic case with wires soldered to each side but no apparent connection to the motor.
Any ideas how to test it, would it be an induction motor. It has run perfectly up to now. Thanks

· Premium Member
2,976 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The motor itself is a conventional iron-cored brushed DC motor. Have you tried applying DC power (from the controller or a 9V battery) directly to the motor terminals to see if that encourages any life?

Do you have a photo that you can upload of what you're seeing? - The service sheet on the Hornby website shows the wires going to the motor (item 7) via the DCC socket/etc.

Regards,

Cameron.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Cameron, there are no wires attached to the motor only to the plasic housing and nothing from there to the motor. There are no tags on the motor except the capacitor wires. I will try and photo tomorrow, its cold in the loft at the moment.
Pete

· In depth idiot
8,703 Posts
Having looked at the diagram Cameron has found, you have an easy first test connection to the motor from the DCC socket.

That's where I would start, because with all wheels picking up, there should be power from track to the DCC socket, rather than first trying to get directly to the motor terminals. (The terminals are accessible on the motor, but to get at them you have to remove the bogie from the underframe, remove the cosmetic bogie frame moulding, then split the plastic casing which holds the motor, gears, pick up wipers and wheels; better to try a simpler access point in the circuit first.)

If the motor runs with power supplied to the DCC socket, then it's pick up wiper connections to the DCC socket that need to be checked.

If the motor won't run with power on the DCC socket, then it will be dismantling time to get full access to the wiring between the DCC socket and the motor terminals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts