Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

The current Hornby OO Western Pullman set (R1048) and the new Hornby GWR Western Pullman DCC set both contain Pullman 1st Class Parlour Cars R223 (the former also contains 3rd Class cars R233) and yet it would appear that Hornby don't sell these individually (and I can't find an online store with any in stock).

Any ideas how Hornby expect people to expand these sets with extra cars?

I'm no great expert as I am just starting out so any advice on extra cars that would "fit the theme" that can be bought would also be appreciated.

Thx,
Stephen

·
Registered
334 Posts
These appear to be the older Pullmans that Hornby were producing a few years ago and they seem to be still using them in sets. There are plenty to be had on Ebay and I suspect the odd model shop will still be selling them but not too many online at the moment.

The alternative is to upgrade to the newer super Hornby production of Pullmans with working lights etc which will cost you a lot more(£20 +) and some of the purists might say they are the wrong coaches to be part of this train.

Pity you didn't say earlier I have just sold 5 of the originals on Ebay.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I too have this set and will be searching ebay when i have the money to expand from 4 to 8 coaches,but you could always buy the set again to get another 4 which i might do yet,and that way i have spare loco too.

·
Registered
763 Posts
If you buy the individual cars on ebay make sure they come with the name or number sets as they have 4 different ones to be fitted by the modeller. I assume the ones in the sets are prenamed.
Also the older pullman cars were used in a lot of other sets and train packs so different numbers and names can be found that way possibly split up from sets.
Just make sure you don't get the really old triang ones as they are a lot shorter (approx 9inch long).

·
Registered
111 Posts
Be careful when buying from ebay as hornby changed the colours of the coaches so older ones will not mach. Some shops split the Hornby trainsets so it should be possible to buy the coaches only of the new trainset as soon as released. Stockton modeller always list new unboxed items on their website. You could give them a try - or ask your favorite shop whether they will split a set for you.

Thomas

·
Registered
267 Posts
Try Toys R Us - They sold a pack of 2 of the older pullam cars in what is basically a Train Set extension stock pack.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Some good info in there.

It still seems a bit mad that Hornby sells a set that can't be easily expanded. Looks like they assume that someone that buys a train set won't be too fussy about how they add to it.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
My advice for expanding your trainset would be to forget ebay. Yes there are bargins to be had, I've had a few myself, but on the whole ebay is a better place to sell model railway items than it is to buy them. Get a copy of one of the model railway magazines and find the listings for swapmeets, find one near you and get along to it. The advantages of going to these are many, most stall holders have all their stock priced so you don't have to hope that you're willing to pay that bit more than anybody else, you can haggle with the vendor so you can usually get a bit of a discount on the price he/she has on the item you want and if you take along a coach from your set you can colour match it so you don't end up with a "two tone" train. Just make sure you come along with a large wad, 'cause at swapmeets it is very easy to go home with something you didn't even know you wanted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts