Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in hamburg the other week with some spare time before my flight so visited the really large multi level layout on display not too far from the main railway station, a long walk. It's fantastic, with first daytime operation and then the lights dim with street lights switching on for nighttime scenes.

http://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/sitemap/

I wonder how they build mountains 6' feet high, they seem to be made of solid plastic but someone might know better.

Ran out of time to visit the U boat in the docks, maybe another time....

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I haven't (unfortunately) been able to visit myself but have spoken to others who have. Apparently it is a tremendous piece of work.

Regards

·
Registered
201 Posts
I watched a video of the layout and it looks amazing. hoping to get a few hours to see the layout next year if i can get over to germany for a weekend.

Alistair

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (alibuchan @ 21 Dec 2007, 16:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I watched a video of the layout and it looks amazing. hoping to get a few hours to see the layout next year if i can get over to germany for a weekend.

Alistair

Well worth a visit and if you like boats there is a U boat not too far away as well.
It's 10 euro to get in and a shop as well plus tea room.
I would not - but parts of the layout are so open to the public you could actually touch a moving train -
do not think they would risk it over here - ashame to say....................
Some of the helix track is behind perspex so you can see a train climb six feet inside a mountain
or as it travels between floors of the building.
The helix was made up of plywood around 3/8" thick & 7" wide, guessing of course, built up with
something like 3/4" galvanised studding with either nuts either side of the ply or short lengths of
tubing. As well as trains of course the display has miniature pop concerts complete with 1000's in
the audiance, bus services, cable cars and some narrow gauge. There must be a million led's used
from police car flashing lights to street lighting, car headlights, etc etc etc.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
The Swiss section opened a couple of months ago. The swiss info website has a short video which gives a flavour of what to expect and includes some behind the scenes stuff too. You can take a look from this page on the swiss info website and then selecting the "Mini Swiss" video.

David

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Smokeyone @ 21 Dec 2007, 18:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Some of the helix track is behind perspex so you can see a train climb six feet inside a mountain
or as it travels between floors of the building.

One of the reasons why European modellers like their locomotives to have plenty of traction ! (anyone for traction tyres ?)

Definatly on my "visit in 2008" list - thanks to Nigel & David for the information.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went there a few years ago. It is quite simply the best model rail layout in the world, bar none.
The crowds were ridiculous though, you could barely get to the edge of any of the tables.
With hindsight I should have gone more than once in order to see everything.

Worth the price of an a plane ticket alone!

Dave.

·
Registered
4 Posts
QUOTE (Smokeyone @ 22 Dec 2007, 05:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There must be a million led's used
from police car flashing lights to street lighting, car headlights, etc etc etc.

More than 250,000 LED's and lights actually, all individually computer controlled.

Dave.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (Dave J @ 22 Dec 2007, 05:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>More than 250,000 LED's and lights actually, all individually computer controlled.

Dave.

Okay then, I was a bit out with my million LED's but you can see some of the banks of computers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts