Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
This is related to my other topic on basic controllers, but needs to be separate to avoid confusion - mine as much as anyone else's!

Apart from a bunch of mini-controllers built into layout boards, I have an old, but pristine and very little used H & M Executive transistor transformer/controller. It has always been useful for temporary mini-circuits and for powering locos and bare motors off the track, etc. It has sometimes been handy to take to friends, to check out failures of their controllers.

Today, after a long period of disuse, on testing an off track loco, the Exec decided to output approximately half power, regardless of where the control knob was set, or in which direction other than at OFF! After a couple of minutes of unplugging and replugging it, plus several very dirty looks and similarly foul language, it decided to return to normal. It's been fine ever since.

Is this behaviour explicable?
If needed in future, could this unit be repaired?
Would it be worth repairing?
Finally, I have always suspected that its transistorised control produced a spiky output, not quite as electrically smooth as some other units and possibly damaging to tiny N-Gauge motors. I'd appreciate wise comment on that, even if it's to say I am completely mistaken.

The connection with the other controller topic is, of course, what I might buy as a replacement, should it ever prove necessary.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I think the Executive was a constant voltage device rather than pulse-width modulation.

The symptoms you describe make me think in terms of a dodgy connection somewhere which prevented proper control of the output. I know of a firm who specialize in H&M equipment, both repairs and second-hand sales. I cannot find the file with their details in at present; I'll put the info up on here when I do.

Regards,
John Webb

1 - 2 of 2 Posts