Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have an old Hornby Hymek that I am tarting up a bit and I need some advice. I want to put new handrails on and I don't know what diameter wire to use or what material is best. I may have already shot my bolt, as it were, as I wanted to sand off the original molded ones and so drilled holes where the ends were, the smallest drill I had was 0.45mm.

Oh yes and please could someone point me in the direction of a supplier of suitable replacement horns?

many thanks

Laurie

·
Registered
15 Posts
Craftsman detailing kits used to come with wire, but otherwise I use 0.45 wire, so your holes will be the right size. For the Horns, speak to Howes of Oxford, they stock A1 parts and A1 used to have some turned brass horns. They are very good, I used them on my Lima model of 37215.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 37114, will follow up the Howes link and get some appropriate wire, how lucky was that with the hole size!

Laurie

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (Laurie @ 6 Sep 2006, 21:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks 37114, will follow up the Howes link and get some appropriate wire, how lucky was that with the hole size!

Laurie

You could get one of the A1 roof grill/fan/offset panel etches while you're about it,- so you can correct this [very noticable] area on the Hymek.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (DS239 @ 6 Sep 2006, 23:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You could get one of the A1 roof grill/fan/offset panel etches while you're about it,- so you can correct this [very noticable] area on the Hymek.....

Hi DS239, I had thought about that but the idea of this project was to get it to the painting stage as quickly as possible, as this is the first model I have tackled and I don't want to ruin alot of work if I bodge the painting.

Originally I was just going to remove the paint guides (the model was originally two tone green SYE) as they scream model at you, this then extended to the handrails on the front. The grill on the roof atleast looks realistic, (even if it is in the wrong place!) However I will soon run out of nice warm weather in which to do the painting so I may need something to do over the winter!

Laurie

·
Registered
26 Posts
Best wire is probably some 0.45 nickel silver from Eileens Emporium - it's nice and straight and about right for the main cab handrails, and the right colour!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks CK, and welcome aboard.

Do you know if the door hand rails are thicker than the ones on the front?

Laurie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts