Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great Article,
Only wish I had seen it before I stumbled through the process of converting mine.
Regards
Steve.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
I'm amazed that every loco is different. You really have to experiment a bit to get it right. Unfortunately I have bust a couple of decoders by trying to get them into tight spaces only to have circuit board components fly off when you close up the body. Check out the latest review of the Class 08/09. That was interesting too.

G

·
Hello,

The reason for the visual differences to the Hornby Hogwarts Castle and the one in the film is that the Hornby model is a Castle class and the one in the film is a Hall class.

Rusty

·
Registered
763 Posts
I believe the bachmann ho set for the US market runs with a hall class loco just like the film.
Just you watch the hornby set for the new film will have a dcc ready loco!!

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Marklin flog the "Castle" version on the continent, are these Hornby originals? We can't get them in the UK - verboten!

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Hornby do indeed supply Marklin with the parts to permit them to build their version of "Hogwarts Castle". This story appeared in the modelling press a few years ago.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry to bring this one back up, but I was looking for this article and the link seems to just be taking me back to the homepage. Does anyone know where the article is now? My wife is looking to chip her Hogwarts Castle soon.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Harry Potter has worked some magic with Model Rail Forum today hence it looks a bit different. The young wizard is aware that Hogwarts Castle has vanished and is currently searching for a spell the bring it back. Model Rail Forum members all know it requires a potion of coal dust, lubricating oil, firemans sweat and diesel soot however we are not too sure how to pass this information onto Harry. With a bit of luck he will read this later, mix the potion, and say the magic words "Hornby Hornby repair the mighty Hogwarts for all to see!"

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Paul Hamilton aka "Lancashire Fusilier"
844 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 17 Jan 2006, 17:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hornby do indeed supply Marklin with the parts to permit them to build their version of "Hogwarts Castle". This story appeared in the modelling press a few years ago.

Happy modelling
Gary

I am learning lots but wondered if someone can hlp me choose the BEST Howarts Castle. I am not interested in the train set per say, nor the collectability. Just want the best quality model and will want it to be DCC either by myself or ready either way is fine. Can someone please advise. Price is not an issue either.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi there,
While the review is still disembodied somewhere I will try to answer the question on which is the best Hogwarts Castle. Apparantly no Castle class owner was prepared to have their loco done up in red livery although I am sure that it would have paid for the next overhaul. There were also issues of route availability I believes.In the film, the loco 5972, Olten Hall, is named Hogwarts Castle. Bachmann use their Modified Hall model. This has detail differences from a Hallclass loco, namely plate frames extending to the front buffer beam.
Hornby did not have a Hall class model and used their Castle class model but giving it the Hall number, 5972. (Hope you are still with me!)
So either of these models is a compromise. The best model would be the newer Bachmann Hall model repainted, renamed and numbered. Unlikely that this will happen because I understand that Hornby has the franchise for UK, Bachmann has it for USA and presumably Marklin for Europe.
Still, accuracy in this loco representation can be flexible - perhaps a spell has been put on the loco by "you know who" and it is therefore a little different from what you see in the film!

Bazza

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Trix also do a Hogwarts Castle set. This is the DC version of Marklin.

If you follow this link Trix Hogwarts Castle Although they are only available in Germany there is nothing to stop you buying one from a German Model Rail shop or of Ebay.

It is Trix item 21243 and will be identical to the Marklin one except that it runs on DC power.

There is info on this link but unfortunately it is not direct it only takes you to the main page. The item is in the Trix main catalogue 2004 on pages 168 and 169 if you are interested. This is in the news and news letters for 2004 section.

·
Psychoticwrench
36 Posts
thanks that is very very helpful i bought a smoke unit i want ot add to mine but didnt have a clue as how to dcc it readdy for my smoke unit

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Is this a new record for a thread resurection?

Five years, eleven and a half months....

Regards

·
DT
4,794 Posts
QUOTE (wrench @ 29 Mar 2012, 20:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>thanks that is very very helpful i bought a smoke unit i want ot add to mine but didnt have a clue as how to dcc it readdy for my smoke unit
Your model could very well be a newer version of this model. The insides may not look the same so the methods will be different.

There are guys here who fit smoke units to models Martin71 in Australia is one. Ask him how to do it.

·
Longfunnelled&amp;tiresome
2,058 Posts
QUOTE (7113 @ 29 Mar 2012, 22:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is this a new record for a thread resurection?
Five years, eleven and a half months....

Couldn't answer that, but I see that the thread was started by mysterious member No. 1.
Penguins are naturally inquisitive little beggars so I looked Admin up but found no recent posts by him/her.
Could it be that Admin is a Hogwarts character running MRF from platform 93/4 at Kings +.

LF&T

1 - 20 of 26 Posts