Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

The old Aussie dollar sinking with the GBP I'm looking for some alternates

Humbrol did a product like this many years ago , Currently I'm using Faller Expert which is fantastic for small detail parts
but at nearly $10 for 25ml I'm saving it for just the small detail parts

has anybody tried this glue

Its under $4.00 and has the brush like the old Humbrol glue bottle

Regards

Zmil

·
Ex-member
1,051 Posts
Stanbridges do an "extra thin" Tamiya liquid cement - 40ml for $7.95 (compared to $4.50 for 40ml of Tamiya's bog standard stuff). I have used that for ages and have no complaints.

Both have brushes built into the caps - you get a nice small sized brush with the ET brew... as to it's merits, I'd imagine it just has a higher solvent to resin ratio, but the real difference might only be the $3.45 in price!

The reason I bought a bottle of the E.T. was I noticed my normal Tamiya brew did thicken up over time - but I'm talking something like 4 years - and certainly a lot slower than the Humbrol one I had tried previously.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
*** For plastic I generally use nothing but Methyl Ethyl Ketone - a liquid solvent, and apply it with a fine paintbrush... Its sold as an industrial cleaner (used in laboratories for cleaning test tubes) and is cheap. Its also a superb (and quite safe compared to most) solvent for styrene and is easy to work with.

AMRA WA will sell you a 100Mmillilitre glass bottle of it for a couple of dollars.

Richard

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Richard

Thanks for that info , I should have remembered that solvent

Many years ago I had a friend who was sign writer and MEK is a component in paint stripper
Him and his boss put some on a fiberglass boat to remove the name , it made the fiberglass awfully soft
and the customer very angry

Regards

Zmil

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (alastairq @ 13 Dec 2008, 17:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>MEK also makes plastic modelling a very enjoyable experience, more so when used in a confined space

Says Alastair from somewhere near the ceiling!

Regards

1 - 7 of 7 Posts