Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the Tracklay ballasting system? If so is it any good? I have to say I'm not generally a big fan of foam ballast, but then again I don't relish dribbling pints of thinned PVA around my layout and trying not to gunk my points up in the process.

I've not started laying any track yet, so thought now might be a good time to get some ideas on ballasting.

Chris

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's not a very good website, is it? I'd like to see step by step instructions with pictures. I think the ballast looks too shallow.

Once upon a time there was a product called AMI instant roadbed. I did my whole layout including ballast without any nails or glue. This was taken just after laying

Yes the ballast is a bit shallow there too but I could have pushed the track further down into it and I didn't bother with weathering although I'm getting around to it now. Opinion is divided on the results but It was the easiest way to lay track I've ever encountered and I'd definitely use it again on my next layout if I could. Maybe take more care next time, though :^)

AMI's website hasn't worked for ages so I assume they went out of business.

I think you'd get similar results with mastic tape and it's probably a hell of a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you're right, it's not the most awe inspiring web site and it doesn't seem to have made a big impact in the hobby judging by the response to my question!

Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts