Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it me or is it my imagination but the forum seems to have slowed down a bit this last week or so? Does this usually happen (haven't been here long) in fits and starts? I keep looking in but don't always sign in (I still can't get the forum to log me in automatically) several times a day but recently there does not seem to have been much input. Are we all ouside in this lovely (not) weather we are having!

Chris

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
>Are we all ouside in this lovely (not) weather we are having!
Judging by the number of cars in the car park, Railex was pretty busy on Sunday, but it was perfectly comfortable inside; maybe all the active people went there?

David

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Chris,
Yes, things are always a bit quieter at Bank Holidays and school half-terms and the like. I presume those with families are having to cope with them or may even be away. And those without also take holidays as well.

Regards,
John Webb

PS - If you do not 'Log Out' at the end of a visit, the Forum will remember you on your next visit and automatically log you in - hope this helps.

·
Registered
141 Posts
To be honest this forum has never exactly been a hive of activity - and that's not a criticism before any jumps on me from a great height
. Maybe it's simply a case of quality rather than quantity.

Having said that I must admit there does seem to be a lull in posting lately. Perhaps, judging by the present high level of postings on RMWeb, a lot of folk that normally post on both forums are concentrating their efforts over there at the moment, which does rather kick into touch the holiday theory.

Steve

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (John Webb @ 28 May 2007, 10:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Chris,
Yes, things are always a bit quieter at Bank Holidays and school half-terms and the like. I presume those with families are having to cope with them or may even be away. And those without also take holidays as well.

Regards,
John Webb

PS - If you do not 'Log Out' at the end of a visit, the Forum will remember you on your next visit and automatically log you in - hope this helps.
Thanks for that John. I always log out as a matter of course (security I suppose) after I finish browsing the forum. Judging by the amount of people shown as logged on on the portal most other people must do as well. I just can't get the forum to remember me when I log back on which I was told by Doug was something to do with the cookies but my laptop uses cookies so I don't know what I am doing wrong. Just about to make it a little less quiet as I need to ask opinions in the DCC forum.

Cheers Chris

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Regarding logging in: To keep yourself logged into the forum, you have to let the board software set a few cookies on your PC. Either your browser settings or some software on your PC is preventing this.

Regarding activity: It is a calm period of the year and nothing much is coming from the manufacturers. There are quite a few long week-ends and people like to get out and about. I've been fishing (see below) and I know that Gary is travelling. I'll be doing some more reviews shortly.

Perhaps we should do more on garden railways and show people how to enjoy model trains and the outdoors at the same time.

My Son's first catch

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (Doug @ 28 May 2007, 11:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Regarding logging in: To keep yourself logged into the forum, you have to let the board software set a few cookies on your PC. Either your browser settings or some software on your PC is preventing this.

Regarding activity: It is a calm period of the year and nothing much is coming from the manufacturers. There are quite a few long week-ends and people like to get out and about. I've been fishing (see below) and I know that Gary is travelling. I'll be doing some more reviews shortly.

Perhaps we should do more on garden railways and show people how to enjoy model trains and the outdoors at the same time.

My Son's first catch

I realise fewer of us will be glued to our computer screens in the summer months and that we are well spread around to say the least but the weather here in Lincolnshire is disgusting today and yesterday. I shall just have to sit here warm and dry and have alook at my settings to see what I can do about the logging on.

Nice fish, not into fishing myself but a few at the club are and by the sound of it the last couple of outings they never got enough in total to add upto the size of that beauty!

Chris

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I don't think Garden Railways would have been of much interest this weekend though, due to very unpleasent weather. Even Luton, 10 miles north of me, cancelled it's big one-day street carnival due to take place today because of high winds and flooded roads there.

I'm now about to go and wash my car - and I won't need to get the hosepipe out to rinse it off!
Regards,
John Webb

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (John Webb @ 28 May 2007, 17:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't think Garden Railways would have been of much interest this weekend though, due to very unpleasent weather. Even Luton, 10 miles north of me, cancelled it's big one-day street carnival due to take place today because of high winds and flooded roads there.

I'm now about to go and wash my car - and I won't need to get the hosepipe out to rinse it off!
Regards,
John Webb
I can't understand why the forum should be quiet with weather like this! There seems to be some kind of perverse link between bank holiday weekends and awful weather. There are ducks and geese on the new pond in the centre of the cricket field I can see from my windows...only a few days ago there were cricket matches going on until 7 pm and to think it will be June on Friday... global warming obviously isn't just a steady increase in temperatures to gasmark 5, more the 'El Nino' Rollercoaster!

Perhaps a butterfly in South America flapped its wings...

Goedel

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (John Webb @ 28 May 2007, 17:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't think Garden Railways would have been of much interest this weekend though, due to very unpleasent weather.

Although its been raining most of the time here in Margate the LGB garden railway has been running most of the time - the only problem I'm having at the moment is snails on the line (it's normally frogs - the green & brown ones!). Even when the pond overflows onto the lower levels it still runs OK (on DCC by the way).

Shame about the weather though & all the events that were cancelled.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 28 May 2007, 19:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Although its been raining most of the time here in Margate the LGB garden railway has been running most of the time - the only problem I'm having at the moment is snails on the line (it's normally frogs - the green & brown ones!). Even when the pond overflows onto the lower levels it still runs OK (on DCC by the way).

Do 'frogs on the line' cause delays at all? They would be a novel excuse for the full-size railway! And are you or the frogs 'hopping mad' when the trains are running?

Regards,
John Webb

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (John Webb @ 28 May 2007, 22:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Do 'frogs on the line' cause delays at all? They would be a novel excuse for the full-size railway! And are you or the frogs 'hopping mad' when the trains are running?

Regards,
John Webb

The frogs do get stunned if they get on the track but usually the locomotive which is a very powerful beast mearly gently pushes them off & they recover & then go about whatever business frogs get up to. Unfortunatly, we do get the occasional casualty.

I note that this morning there are many snails riding round on the wagons !

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have too noticed a reduction in postings over the past couple of weeks, as daily visit to MR Forum show no change in many of the Forums.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 29 May 2007, 08:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I note that this morning there are many snails riding round on the wagons !

Well it stops the little b
s eating the plants!

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
it has been a bit quiet lately.

There really hasnt been much to talk about and this forum dosent tend to be a place for just general chit chat.

i am sure it will liven up again soon.

I have been spending time working on other projects such as a stained glass lamp i am making and i mosaic i have been working on for 2 years and wish i had never started. i am sure it will look great in the end but the border is taking an eternity to do. almost evry piece in the border needs to be cut to shape. the the whole mosaic i have done a quick estimation at 58125 pieces.

i have also been spending conciderable ammounts of time standing in the bloddy bank waiting to alter a standing order and another hour and a half waiting in the council offices to pay my council tax (where there is only a womans toilet!)

Peter

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE i have also been spending conciderable ammounts of time standing in the bloddy bank waiting to alter a standing order and another hour and a half waiting in the council offices to pay my council tax (where there is only a womans toilet!)

You should take a coach or wagon kit down there with you. You could probably build one while you're waiting!

·
Registered
436 Posts
I could liven the place up by starting another contentious subject but those pesky moderators would intervene!

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (ozwarrior @ 29 May 2007, 23:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I could liven the place up by starting another contentious subject but those pesky moderators would intervene!

Oh go on - I can't think of anything contentious this early in the day.

Regards

John

1 - 20 of 20 Posts