Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Would have thought most would have realised their are a lot more suppliers and IME typically deliver a lot quicker than Hattons on basic postage rates - Derails, Gaugemaster, Kernow, Model Railways Direct and TMC in particular
Bear in mind that we overseas modellers also have to factor in international postal costs, and whether the retailer will take off VAT. Quite a few retailers' international costs are higher than Hatton's offers. Having said that, there are a good few who are competitive and equally worth dealing with.

·
In depth idiot
7,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I will throw some of my (UK perspective) retailer factors into the ring.

Well organised and directly accessible listings of what's available. I am expert in model railway. A system that obstructs access, so that the retailer can show me what they are trying to shift, is the biggest turn-off in the book.
I like ordering by phone, questions can be asked and answers obtained, and the order confirmed as all good before hanging up. (No shipment arriving missing pieces, which it now transpires were not in stock.)
And because I like ordering by phone, the prizes go to those businesses that consistently pick up calls very quickly.
And should there be a problem - and this a rare occurrence - it is put right without any obstacles.
I will preferentially support businesses that stock and produce product that falls within my modelling interest. Those that don't regularly look North for subjects, forget it, of little use to me.

Finally, experience in business taught me long ago that vendors that perform stably and reliably over the long haul are to be treasured. Sure, I will purchase from others when there is no alternative; but if the safe hands have it, the price is worth paying so that they will still be trading in years to come.

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
Meanwhile I want the things that ran around in south central England in the 50's/60's weathered and neglected so I am simply not interested in The Rocket, GNR No1 whatever and others, (pleased for those who do) a few late colourful steamers from the Pre Group period are nice and I don't mind a few but cash is getting tighter, diesel has gone silly and my food bills have got bigger too and I expect everything else will as well so maybe the luxury models will have to wait.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts