Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Dogsbody
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a sound equipped Bachmann class 37 recently. The model is so heavy compared to Bachmann's 25 and Heljen's 33. The little loco's travel well around the layout, smooth, no stutter, quiet etc. The new 37 stops on some of the points when travelling in the diverging direction. The points are Peco medium insulfrogs. I think the little contact on the moving blades is breaking contact with the fixed rail. Any comments or suggestions to solve the problem ?

·
Registered
334 Posts
QUOTE (BobB @ 29 Jan 2009, 12:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I received a sound equipped Bachmann class 37 recently. The model is so heavy compared to Bachmann's 25 and Heljen's 33. The little loco's travel well around the layout, smooth, no stutter, quiet etc. The new 37 stops on some of the points when travelling in the diverging direction. The points are Peco medium insulfrogs. I think the little contact on the moving blades is breaking contact with the fixed rail. Any comments or suggestions to solve the problem ?

Use a switch so you are not relying on the rail. Biggest fault on peco points that little contact blade.

·
In depth idiot
7,673 Posts
Are you using DCC? If so, a change to live frog is the way to go.

With insulfrog, you could just bond the switch rail to the stock rail, to permanently make the rail live so you are not relying on the 'tab' contact, but then comes the next problem if using DCC: every now and again a wheelset will bridge the rails at the crossing, and if this happens at low speed the command station trips out. Faster passes won't trip the system, but after a while the spark erosion will be very apparent on the rail surface.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
It's probably worth making sure that all the wipers are in proper contact with the wheels (also taking into account any axel sideplay). It may also improve when the blackening has worn off the wheel treads.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts