Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I know that a certain shop is advertising the chance to buy limited edition versions of Heljan class 14's for next year. Does anyone know if Heljan intend to produce class 14's as a standard item, or whether they will only be available in this one offer? I would love one, and it would really fit what I am trying to achieve, but I am afraid I simply can't afford the £115 being asked for the special editions.....

·
Registered
222 Posts
I suspect that it will be only available as a limited edition item. Shame really becasuse I would have like one too but not for £115. For that money I would rahter get a class 20, 24 or 25 with digital sound for a few quid more

·
Registered
13 Posts
I will accept that £115 isn't cheap BUT a kit with all the parts needed, motor, paint transfers etc will probably cost more and it is unlikely that the final result will not be as good as the Heljan model I'm not saying it won't be but I for one couldn't build a Cl 14 kit

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just received an email from Hattons.

They will be mailing out "teddy bears" on Monday (8th February)

Dave

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 4 Feb 2010, 10:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Any delivery dates for the replacement chassis ?

You would hope that they have learned a very valuable lessen from the 'other' one they did and have it fixed before selling them

Kind regards

Paul

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I too received my notification.

Aparently, they arrive in stock today (Friday), will be packed over the weekend and mailed on Monday.
Those in the UK should start receiving theirs later next week while those of us overseas will probably receive them the following week.

Graham Plowman

·
Registered
4 Posts
Received mine just over a week ago. Model is superb as well as the running quality. i iknow it's not a cheap loco biut I would not have been able to get a kit to look or run this good
Mike

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
QUOTE (Tomstrains @ 16 Feb 2010, 08:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>£115 for a small loco is a bit steep isnt it

That's the price of a limited edition, limited run product.
If you want it, you pay the price.
Simple economics!

Graham Plowman

·
In depth idiot
7,685 Posts
QUOTE (Tomstrains @ 15 Feb 2010, 22:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>£115 for a small loco is a bit steep isnt it
Not for something which is a limited interest product, and therefore will not sell in the usual numbers for a loco model. The research, tooling and approval process costs don't change much with the size of the prototype; the motor is close to a fixed cost among the components for a powered model, and also this is a unique chassis, not the easily adapted twin bogie layout which requires perhaps a dozen dimensional inputs on a basic format in CAD to derive the new layout. When this has to be recovered over a few thousand sales, rather then tens of thousands, the price has to rise to compensate.

Another way to look at this. If you are someone for whom a class 14 is a 'must have' this is way cheaper than doing it by kit building (the Dave Alexander white metal kit was past £70 last time I looked, and to complete it the motor, wheels, gearbox, pick ups, detailing parts, paint and transfers will be the same again) and much easier than scratchbuilding: and with a finish that I would suggest only the best 5% of modellers can match or exceed.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I decided that I must have one, so have been selling things on a certain auction website to fund it. Mine arrived last Tuesday, went up in smoke after a few minutes, but Hattons swapped it promptly. The replacement arrived this morning, and seems a much better one than the original. Detail is very good, headcodes are very bright, so I've dulled one of mine with a few layers of paper behind it. Can't open the shorter end to fit code, no instructions for that either. Marker lights are also bright. Coupling are a little fiddly to fit. I've put crew in mine. Overall, very pleased, and no way could I have built anything this good.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Tomstrains @ 15 Feb 2010, 22:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>£115 for a small loco is a bit steep isnt it

If you think that's expensive have a look at the prices of some of the mainland European locomotives.

Personally, I would agree with Graham's comments.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Not a fan of these limited edition/limited run models, in my mind it ruins any chance of a 14 becoming a mainstream model, personally I think there would be market there for one. I had heard on the grape vine that Bachmann were looking closely at plans...I expect that have put them away now. However this is all speculation and at least we have got a ready to run model of a 14. Theres not many classes left unmoddled now. I also heard on the grapevine that some people had been running a ruler over something else. can't say more at the moment!

·
Registered
465 Posts
QUOTE (Coboman @ 16 Feb 2010, 22:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not a fan of these limited edition/limited run models, in my mind it ruins any chance of a 14 becoming a mainstream model, personally I think there would be market there for one. I had heard on the grape vine that Bachmann were looking closely at plans...I expect that have put them away now. However this is all speculation and at least we have got a ready to run model of a 14. Theres not many classes left unmoddled now. I also heard on the grapevine that some people had been running a ruler over something else. can't say more at the moment!

The BR CO-BO is one the cards isin't it? (Class 28??)

and the Cl 15 iirc

·
Registered
558 Posts
QUOTE (Chris_IRL @ 16 Feb 2010, 22:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The BR CO-BO is one the cards isin't it? (Class 28??)

and the Cl 15 iirc
errrrr could be? LOL
isn't the 15 out yet? Heljan came and measured D8233 ages ago......

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Hi

I got home this Monday evening and I had a couple of big surprises. Firstly my big surprise was the birth of my first son. I missed it by a couple of hours after a mad dash over 8000km. I asked my wife if she wouldn't mind keeping her legs closed for another day or so but my young son had other ideas! So there you are Im finally a Dad! 3.3 kg and 52cm long and we have called him Timothy Michael.

Lots of goodies from Trainsandrailways who provide excellent service, delivery and pricing and the 2 14's from Hattons. Well done Hattons on the great service and delivery.

So first impressions....well I have not run them but they look great and as far as I am concerned worth the money considering the strength of the Aus $ and I dont pay vat.

I also told my wife I had seen 2 nice "Teddy Bears" so she didn't bat an eye lid when I got them. When I showed her a couple of nights ago she had a good laugh but wanted "proof" they were called "teddy bears"

The lengths we will go to...to get what we want.

I do like the private owner class 14.

Martin

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Congratualtions to Martin71 & his wife. I hope both she & the young Timothy are well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts