Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (iansa @ 10 Jan 2008, 10:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Normski, further to my last post. Are you operating your Heljan CT with DCC system? If so, the Gantry and trolley have separate addresses which means with DCC system your have to toggle between the two addresses. This is why I op mine with control box supplied.
Ian sa

*** Just a small point. The voltage is the key issue here, not the current of the power supply. It will have a bridge rectifier at the start of the circuitry which will drop about 1.5 volts so you'll need to use a 15 volt supply as a start point.... i amp should be more than enough, so an old trainset controller with uncontrolled AC will be better than a lower voltage high current power supply.

Ian:

It seems very clumsy using two separate decoders. It must be possible to re-wire so one will do the job with the help of micro relays. I'll take a look at the owners manual if its available online anywhere (is it?) and see what I can come up with.

My mind is seeing a single 4 to 6 function decoder switching micro dpdt relays so each can control a motor......

The same problem dogs the Roco crane - an old decoder type with less than 2007/8 functionality makes it harder than it needs to be.

Richard
DCCconcepts.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 10 Jan 2008, 12:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>*** Just a small point. The voltage is the key issue here, not the current of the power supply. It will have a bridge rectifier at the start of the circuitry which will drop about 1.5 volts so you'll need to use a 15 volt supply as a start point.... i amp should be more than enough, so an old trainset controller with uncontrolled AC will be better than a lower voltage high current power supply.

Ian:

It seems very clumsy using two separate decoders. It must be possible to re-wire so one will do the job with the help of micro relays. I'll take a look at the owners manual if its available online anywhere (is it?) and see what I can come up with.

My mind is seeing a single 4 to 6 function decoder switching micro dpdt relays so each can control a motor......

The same problem dogs the Roco crane - an old decoder type with less than 2007/8 functionality makes it harder than it needs to be.

Richard
DCCconcepts.

*** Doop just found the manual.... adequate voltage certainly is the key but With the magnet to be used with simultaneous motors(s) will certainly mean the 2.5 amps recommended supply will be needed....sorry.

I'll see if I can nut out a single decoder configuration, but to be honest I'd never be an easy change and don't see why you'd want to use anything other than the supplied controller which seems to be simple and direct. Is there anything that can be done under DCC control that can't be done with the control pad... there's nothing obvious to me.

Richard
DCCconcepts

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.