Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
QUOTE (martin r @ 20 Dec 2007, 20:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just been told that MOST IF NOT ALL Heljan Falcons are effected by a serious chassis fault. The scale buffer beams supplied fitted have been glued on because they will not clip into chassis and therefore cannot be changed for the other buffer beam unit designed to be use with tension lock coupling. Most dealers are not sending out models as Heljan are reported to be making a new chassis to replace faulty one. It will be some weeks yet before they will be available.

I have bought the original liveried Falcon from Geoffrey Allison, but I have had to take it back because of some alarming noise at high revs. Steve there thinks that it can be rectified, as if something was catching (not sure what, though)

I expect to have it back in a week or so.

The loco is running with a TCS M2 decoder, controlled by a ZTC 511. I noticed on Geoffrey Allison's short test track, which uses a Gaugemaster Prodigy controller, that the loco noise was somewhat lower. Anybody else noticed this when working Heljan locos on different DCC Controlled tracks and with different Decoders?

Cheers,

Hugh

PS The loco doesn't present any problems with its coupling providing an ETH/Brake cable/pipe is removed from the scale buffer beam, so I haven't taken up the chance of removing the deep buffer beam. I will observe though, that the buffer beam that is fitted doesn't exactly present the best of views, bit like the bumper bar falling off a Ford Anglia of old!

The traction of this loco is fantastic, I have had a report of it pulling 50 (!) coaches. The wheel profile seems particularly good, when looking at it in relation to the railhead.

The only contentious point from all this is that I ordered the Two-Tone version at the same time, and Heljan haven't sent the loco to the dealer. Rather a shame, I think......

·
Registered
133 Posts
QUOTE (Hugh Williams @ 5 Jan 2008, 18:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have bought the original liveried Falcon from Geoffrey Allison, but I have had to take it back because of some alarming noise at high revs. Steve there thinks that it can be rectified, as if something was catching (not sure what, though)

I expect to have it back in a week or so.

The loco is running with a TCS M2 decoder, controlled by a ZTC 511. I noticed on Geoffrey Allison's short test track, which uses a Gaugemaster Prodigy controller, that the loco noise was somewhat lower. Anybody else noticed this when working Heljan locos on different DCC Controlled tracks and with different Decoders?

Cheers,

Hugh

PS The loco doesn't present any problems with its coupling providing an ETH/Brake cable/pipe is removed from the scale buffer beam, so I haven't taken up the chance of removing the deep buffer beam. I will observe though, that the buffer beam that is fitted doesn't exactly present the best of views, bit like the bumper bar falling off a Ford Anglia of old!

The traction of this loco is fantastic, I have had a report of it pulling 50 (!) coaches. The wheel profile seems particularly good, when looking at it in relation to the railhead.

The only contentious point from all this is that I ordered the Two-Tone version at the same time, and Heljan haven't sent the loco to the dealer. Rather a shame, I think......

Problem sorted out by Steve Allison; now where is my two-tone version?

Cheers,

Hugh

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.