Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered a Heljan Metropolitan (Vickers?) BoBo on Saturday from Hattons at £74 - looks like a 'bargain.' Has anybody else got one of these?

My excuse for buying (other than I like the looks - not pretty, but a nice example of the era, and the price) is that I can put my GWR clerestories behind it with some sort of justification in that I believe they were used to pull GWR trains from Paddington to 'the city.'
The one I've ordered appears to have Aylesbury / Liverpool St. on the 'blinds' - not exactly appropriate but with my eyesight being what it is that probably won't matter - but does anybody know what it should have - Paddington and where?

·
In depth idiot
8,253 Posts
The Metro's terminus for 'The City' approaching from the West most likely was Liverpool Street, so I'd suggest that's your 'where'. (My guess, know nothing about this service!)

If it runs as sweetly as all my Heljan BoBo loco purchases to date this aspect should please.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
The old Metropolitan/GWR tie-up used steam locomotives through Paddington, before EMUs became the norm. The Bo-Bo's, as modelled by Heljan, dated from 1920/21, and were used almost exclusively between Baker Street and Rickmansworth, where they were removed from their trains and steam locomotives took the train onwards to Amersham or even Aylesbury in early days. After electrification to Amersham in 1960, the A60 stock took over services all the way from Baker Street to Amersham and Chesham, and the Bo-Bo's were retired, with a couple being preserved. The LT lines onwards to Aylesbury were transferred out of LT hands somewhat earlier than this.

No 12, Sarah Siddons was for a while officially the brake block test locomotive, a neat way to preserve a locomotive in operational condition without actually "officially" preserving it!

The Heljan model is superb, and as we expect from this manufacturer, they run very quietly and smoothly, and have more than enough power to haul any stock we would deem suitable - mine are only expected to haul five lightweight coaches (Graham Farish non-gangwayed coaches painted brown).

I bought one at full price when they first arrived (No. 8 Sherlock Holmes), but like the OP, I succumbed t temptation when the bargain priced ones appeared for £74, so bought No 12 Sarah Siddons in preserved Met livery as well.

IMG_20180603_100436 by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

As a small aside, both of mine had the same minor fault, where the lighting boards for the top marker light and cab light were inserted upside down (both ends of No 8 and one end only of No 12); this was very easily fixed!

·
In depth idiot
8,253 Posts
QUOTE (SRman @ 7 Aug 2018, 05:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The old Metropolitan/GWR tie-up used steam locomotives through Paddington, before EMUs became the norm. The Bo-Bo's, as modelled by Heljan, dated from 1920/21, and were
used almost exclusively between Baker Street and Rickmansworth, where they were removed from their trains and steam locomotives took the train onwards to Amersham or even
Aylesbury in early days. After electrification to Amersham in 1960, the A60 stock took over services all the way from Baker Street to Amersham and Chesham, and the Bo-Bo's were
retired, with a couple being preserved. The LT lines onwards to Aylesbury were transferred out of LT hands somewhat earlier than this...
Aha. So the implication of this is that the electric loco showing destinations of Liverpool St. and Aylesbury is actually an indicator of where the passenger stock behind was bound for;
and not that the loco was going there?

QUOTE (Julian2011 @ 7 Aug 2018, 09:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>... I'm a bit confused about how the Graham Farish coaches are involved, I must be missing some information somewhere.
I'll go for another guess here. There is no RTR Metropolitan teak coach stock, so some old Graham Farish compartment stock models* have been painted up to look suitable.
I am getting on my hobbyhorse now. There is a good picture in 'The Big Four in Colour 1935 - 1950' showing part of a coach side of a Metropolitan vehicle at Aylesbury showing just
what a thing of beauty this effectively pre-grouping livery scheme was. All varnished wood, highlighted with ivory cartouches in one of which is 'METROPOLITAN'. Gorgeous.

(*For many years the only thing in OO RTR that approximated an all compartment non-gangwayed coach was the Graham Farish product, a generic item possibly loosely based on the
LMS period three vehicles, or the similar BR coaches that followed in the 1950s. These did duty on many a layout until - hopefully - something better could be constructed or even -you
never know! - purchased RTR. We now have a few each of LMS, LNER, SR and BR appropriate types to an OK or better standard as RTR. But no RTR Metropolitan coaches.)

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
You are correct regarding the 'why' for my use of Farish coaches, 34C.

Originally, the Dreadnought coaches and the almost identical dedicated sets used with the T Stock that were used for the Amersham/Aylesbury run were in varnished teak, but they all got overpainted ina darkish brown later in their lives. There are Dreadnought kits available from Radley Models but they are a little dear for me at present, whereas I was able to find some Farish coaches that sort of looked the part for very little cost. I have to say that the Farish coaches are wrong in just about every single detail, but that they actually don't look out of place when seen running. I have fitted them all with metal wheels, but otherwise all I have done is paint them in various shades of brown before settling on one shade that I think looks better than the rest (the photo reflects the experimental shades). They would benefit from closer coupling, and I will eventually hack the brake coaches to resemble the Met coaches a little more closely.

LT Bo-Bo Sherlock Holmes with Farish Coaches - 2 by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Thanks SRman, interesting stuff. My copy of British Electric Trains ((H.W.A. Linecar, 1947) has a photograph of No 1 at Rickmansworth with the Liverpool St. to Aylesbury train - and it mentions that the change to steam power was at Rickmansworth too.
I did come across a comment about the lighting boards being fitted upside down on 'another forum' - not sure if I'd notice as I'm running on DC - how can I tell if it's the case?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
QUOTE (PeterPug @ 7 Aug 2018, 23:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks SRman, interesting stuff. My copy of British Electric Trains ((H.W.A. Linecar, 1947) has a photograph of No 1 at Rickmansworth with the Liverpool St. to Aylesbury train - and it mentions that the change to steam power was at Rickmansworth too.
I did come across a comment about the lighting boards being fitted upside down on 'another forum' - not sure if I'd notice as I'm running on DC - how can I tell if it's the case?

The comment on lighting boards may well have been one of my posts elsewhere.

I only noticed on DCC, because turning on the cab light resulted in the upper marker light illuminating, while turning on the marker lights with the cab light function off resulted in only the lower two marker lights plus the cab light at that end illuminating.

On plain DC, I'm not sure anyone would notice the difference as all lights come on at once anyway. It is quite possible there are many of these locomotives running around with the PCBs upside down, but no one will notice.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Actually SRMan, I quite like your idea of Farish coaches here. I have a couple of detailed GWR rakes that are quite pleasing [although spectacularly inaccurate] and with metal wheels and closer couplings [and better roof vents] they keep people fooled as long as they are standing three feet away and the coaches are not dawdling!

I've ordered one of these Hatton's bargains, I think I'll now track down some Farish suburbans for a rake.

Tony

·
In depth idiot
8,253 Posts
Get a good look at them ahead of purchase. Some of the mouldings bend badly and won't straighten, very brittle. (We are looking at 40 years old and up.)

This product was well designed down to a price, the seating moulding is the underside on which the bogies are mounted.

I would suggest also considering the early Bachmann BR mk1 non-gangwayed. No more or less accurate than the GF's for the purpose you intend, and can sometimes be found
unboxed for very little money. The bogies and wheelsets are fit to use, whereas the GF will inevitably have to be replaced in my experience, so figure that into a price comparison.

Running gear was GF's great weakness in what OO rolling stock of their's that I saw. Very weak plastic wheels and typically inside bearings for 'no roll' performance. Triang Hornby -
yes even T-H - had them beat for rollability at the time, and Mainline and Airfix GMR left them for dead in this respect.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Chipped roof corners are common also, as is some cracking in the coach ends, presumably through the plastic becoming unstable. Mekpak - or equivalent - can deal with that though.

I'll look at Bachmann suburbans though - had not thought of that.

Tony

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
What didn't look at all bad behind mine when I took it to a friend's layout were some Hornby LNER non-gangwayed coaches in varnished teak finish. Again, totally inaccurate but from a modelling point of view, it looked right.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mine arrived today - the detail is pretty stunning, not sure somebody as clumsy as me will ever be able to handle the thing without breaking bits off it.
John Milton in 'Metropolitan Railways' livery - I bought that one because I assumed (perhaps wrongly?) that it was the earliest livery (based on some brief internet searches) and I wouldn't feel too bad about it's pulling GWR clerestories

looks good, set up a test track and see how well it runs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine arrived in Oz last week...........couldn't resist the Hattons price(although I don't really need one!!) put on the rolling road and it runs like a dream straight out of the box.

Rgds.......Mike

1 - 20 of 28 Posts