Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

DANISH MANUFACTURER Heljan A/S has announced its 2008 production schedule ahead of the Nurnburg Toyfair where the company will be making public its continental European plans.

There are a few surprises including the return of the Falcon model in two more versions. Contradicting the original limited edition run of 2,250 pieces, we will see further runs in the first Brush-applied two-tone lime green livery and in BR blue with a weathered finish.

The Class 26 development continues with Version 2 representing the later period locomotive with solid cab doors but still retaining the boiler water tank. Version 3 is defined as having modified cab fronts and includes underslung air reservoirs as fitted to air- and dual-braked locos.

The much anticipated 'Clayton' has been signficantly delayed and now drops back in the programme from a spring to an autumn release. Three additional running numbers also originally proposed have been dropped from this year. A similar problem has befallen the Cargowaggon bogie flat which has also lost its weathered and loaded options, presumably into 2009. Some Class 33/1 releases have also been dropped.

Other notable items included the Class 27 in a new version (September), depicting an early Scottish machine with nose end doors, sliding cab windows and tablet catchers. The 7mm range, after the well-publicised Class 37, is boosted by two more Class 47 runs including a BR green example finished as the WR 'namer' Isambard Kingdom Brunel.

Click here for the Heljan 2008 release information.

[Via Rail Express Modeller]

·
Registered
8 Posts
The new 21.5m turntable (89031) is 70.56ft in imperial measurements and has a less continental appearance than previous releases. Should find a place on many OO British railway layouts!

John

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE The new 21.5m turntable (89031) is 70.56ft in imperial measurements and has a less continental appearance than previous releases. Should find a place on many OO British railway layouts!

I'll give one a home

I like the look of the two steam locomotives but they're well out of my modelling area.

David

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
The Heljan website (Click here) has posted a Power Point presentation on the Class 17 "Clayton". The images appear to be taken from a CAD package rather than mock ups. To view the presentation you need to ensure you have performed the following steps:-

1) Installed the Power Point viewer. There is a link on the Heljan site for doing this. It's a 25MByte download from Microsoft.
2) Visit the news page in either Danish or German. The link for the English page is broken, which is why the link is to the Danish page - unless that's cookie driven.

Having viewed the presentation from the Danish and German versions I think there is only one presentation and the words are in English.

I'm not sure that the presentation is worth downloading the Power Point viewer for. It would be really cool if Heljan had created a PDF and embedded some 3D CAD images which we could rotate, hide/show levels in. You think this can't be done? Check out this webpage!

David

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think its great that a class 17 is finally coming out. Hats off to heljan, years ago this would have been seen as commercial suicide being a somewhat unsucesfull prototype (stories of hornby dublos co-bo spring to mind) but the sucess of their falcon model flying off the shelves may mean we see more obscure locos being made by major r-t-r makers.

paul

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
But odd that only one survived, considering the number that went to industrial use.

Regards

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 26 Feb 2008, 21:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>But odd that only one survived, considering the number that went to industrial use.

Regards

Could you be confusing them with the Class 14s? I seem to remember that D8568 (the preserved one) was the only industrial Clayton. The Class 14s, on the other hand, survived in droves on account of their service as industrial shunters.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (cig1705 @ 2 Mar 2008, 16:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Could you be confusing them with the Class 14s? I seem to remember that D8568 (the preserved one) was the only industrial Clayton. The Class 14s, on the other hand, survived in droves on account of their service as industrial shunters.

Not entirely - if memory serves a few were retained by BR as dead loads until the late 70's, I also have a feeling that at one point there were two preserved examples.

Regards

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
There is one thing that OO modellers should check before buying - the length of the bridge. Assuming that Heljan have produced a HO scale (1:87) 21.5 meter turntable, my calculations show that this gives a bridge length of 247mm or 9.7 inches. In other words it's not big enough for OO Pacifics.

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 29 Nov 2008, 07:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There is one thing that OO modellers should check before buying - the length of the bridge. Assuming that Heljan have produced a HO scale (1:87) 21.5 meter turntable, my calculations show that this gives a bridge length of 247mm or 9.7 inches. In other words it's not big enough for OO Pacifics.

David
Very good point David. 247mm is the length of most HO pacifics.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Heljan have posted this news item on their website announcing the Danish and Swedish version of these turntables are in stock.

David

·
Registered
982 Posts
26s and 27s are good - don't hesitate if its the low price that puts you off.

Very smooth runners. Maybe a bit high on power consumption.

The 26s,27s,47s , Hymeks etc are a world apart from the Clayton 17 which really is not fit for purpose mechanically so don't let that put you off if thats whats worrying you.

Russell

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I would echo Russell's statement and, for the benefit of anyone else reading and wondering more specifically about the other types, that applies to the class 33s (going even more cheaply), 53s (Falcon), 52 (Westerns) and 58s.

All are very sweet runners, and all later builds have better quality wheels as well that don't tarnish as easily as the earlier brass ones (which are still brilliant runners, just they need more frequent cleaning).

All also benefit from the electrical pickups being checked and tweaked slightly if necessary to ensure pick up from all wheels.

No prizes for guessing I like the Heljan mechs (I don't have a Clayton anyway!). I do make sure that I use higher rated DCC decoders in them, though (usually ESU but a few TCS as well).

·
nickb
55 Posts
SRMan, agree with your assessment; I am very hapy with my Heljan Cl 47s, 58. I have not had such a good run with my two 33s. The wheels dull off unbelievable; what do you use to clean them? Also, I have had trouble getting the very thin pick ups to stay firm against the wheel faces. Any suggestions? Again, these little fellas when running have incredible haulage capacity. regards Nick

·
In depth idiot
7,683 Posts
If I might chip in here with my limited experience (couple of 47s owned by others, own a 26) of Heljan. It is very easy to adjust the pick up wipers, and having found my way round Heljan's construction I think it easiest to unclip the bogie baseplate, remove the wheelsets, and then increase the bend on the wipers for positive contact as required. Two benefits of doing it this way: the sideframes which retain the wipers are not disturbed or loosened (they are a simple push fit) and at the same time the lubricant distribution in the gear train and around the axles may be checked, and the wheelbacks cleaned of any spilt lubricant -

and -

all these locos came with a 'black muck' on the tyres, and were apt to collect track dirt. With the 26 I was able to use my preferred technique which is a solvent wipe to get off anything greasy while the wheelsets were out of the bogies, and then once reassembled, many hours running. That polished up the contact patch on each wheel tread really well, and no further cleaning has been necessary in over a year of subsequent operation, the contact patches are still bright.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts