Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
There may not have been a transfer table at any GNR sheds in the Leeds area but I think my MPD is going to have one.

QUOTE any info on size ?
I noticed that in the demo a US BoBo + box van fitted on the deck so I'd guess the table is at least 14 inches wide. The basic unit appears to be deep enough for four bays but the end of the video mentions an extension unit, so the answer may be "How deep are your pockets?".

Of course if you wanted two at separate locations, you could make the second one a carriage works for a bit of variety.

David

·
Dogsbody
1,387 Posts
I've only seen traversers like this used in rolling stock manufacturing plants and of course model railways.

Were any ever installed on Britain's railways ?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I see it comes 'sound-equipped?'

can you imagine how annoying that piano music would have been, every time the table was used?

·
DT
4,794 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I'm clutching at flying things in the breeze with this one, but....................

as a youngster in the mid 1960's, I recall cycling into the centre of Birmingham on frequent occasions......and visiting either, Snow Hill Station...or was it
Moor Street station?

either way, at the time as I recall it was 'parcels' only......no personal records kept as I wasn't really an avid trainspotter/enthusiast at the time....

but ..I remember seeing the remains of a traverser at the inner platform ends..ie intact but not used.

I've wiki'd both these stations but I didn't spot any mention of this unusual piece of kit.......am I wrong with this????

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Tyseley loco works had one as these plans illustrate.

David

·
Registered
36 Posts
QUOTE (61215 billy carver @ 20 Feb 2009, 15:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>thanks doug been waiting for this one ,any info on size ? cheers billy

The first engine in the video is an F Unit, HO scale F units are just under 7 inches long, so that should give an idea of size.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Moor Street did have a three track traverser, using two of the platforms, cannot find any pics. Not sure when it was removed but due to the nature of the surroundings, being hemmed in, this was the only way to release a loco.

Last time I was there, long time ago now, you could still see where it was laid due to the cut away walls of the platforms. I think this is between the current, but unused Platforms 3 and 4.

Hope it is OK to paste this link here as it does state moor Street did in fact have one....

http://www.railaroundbirmingham.co.uk/Stat...moor_street.php

Or this,

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/moorstreet.htm

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE I suppose it's more space efficient than a turntable.
Particularly for moving stock between adjacent lines in a work shop. There's a traverser at the rear of the main museum building at Cite du Train in Mulhouse.

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 21 Feb 2009, 20:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Particularly for moving stock between adjacent lines in a work shop. There's a traverser at the rear of the main museum building at Cite du Train in Mulhouse.

David
If that's the case it would have been a good option for stock storage had this been released when I was designing my layout. Maybe next time.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
QUOTE (Oakydoke @ 21 Feb 2009, 00:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is this what you are looking for.

http://www.robertdarlaston.co.uk/Railways5...es/image052.jpg

exactly...thank you.

would fit well into the end of platform roads on a plan such as Cyril Freezer's famous ''Minories?''

Now.....I wonder if Heljan /Walthers would be prepared to produce a 'stripped-down'' version..ie WITHOUT the scenic add-ons?

bare track and mechanism?

This would better suit those who wish to use a traverser in an off-scene, or hidden siding mode?

making use of the indexing and power drive, etc....??

1 - 20 of 27 Posts