Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
joined the RMF last night and am well impressed by the topics discussed. For the last 40 years I think I've been too narrow in my outlook. I currently model SNCF(French railways) in HO but why not run an LMS Black 5 alongside if I want to?

Haven't seen many posts by other SNCF modelers, but is this is a problem? I don't think so, but if there are any others please say hello.

regards,

Clive

·
Registered
189 Posts
Clive,

Welcome to the forum. Great place to find lots of information and people of like mind (???)

I collect a variety of locos and styles and have a few SNCF locos and carriages. I also collect old steam locos and fix them. To me it doesn't matter which style you make your layout and I am in for the fun. However, there are some very enthusiastic collectors and modellers in the forum who go for the realism and don't mix styles.

The eclectic mix is for me.

Enjoy

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Hi Clive, welcome to the forum

I have a few SNCF locos and models, this is the latest, but I wouldn't call myself a SNCF modeller. I have about 15 SNCF steam and Electric locos (mainly Jouef) that I'll pass onto anyone who wants them more than I do. I have a neighbour who is in the process of starting up a collection and I'm getting him keen
. Jouef locos run so badly that I don't enjoy them when I pull them out. I have a few that look good, but I like to run my trains.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (clive hayward @ 16 Oct 2008, 21:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Haven't seen many posts by other SNCF modelers, but is this is a problem? I don't think so, but if there are any others please say hello.

regards,

Clive

Well, Dave (BRITHO) & myself get close - we currently model SNCB based in the Ardennes - that any good ?

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Hi Clive and welcome to MRF,

I don't actually model SNCF, but we (myself and Brian) do have friends at a club who have a large exhibition layout.

Enjoy your visits and join in where you can.

QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 17 Oct 2008, 06:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well, Dave (BRITHO) & myself get close - we currently model SNCB based in the Ardennes - that any good ?

and don't forget we have a pair of diesels and a 150.

Regards

·
Registered
894 Posts
Hi clive, Welcome to the forums.

I have a thoroughly british layout (with those American imports they keep sending over here
), but still got hold of an orange TGV!!

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Hi Clive and welcome to MRF.

I particularly collect and model the Steamers that once roared Turkey from coast to coast.

One of the major SNCF steamers we had was the SNCF 150X a variant of the Br44.

Oh how I was happy when Trix announced its arrival in April 2008.
Eventually it turned out to be a huge disaster which is going to be a thread on its own. Never again will I pass near anything related to MaTrix.

Baykal

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm a TGV and SNCF rolling stock lover as well
But won't have that much running in my layout as I'll be modelling an imaginary Benelux low country.

Am on a number of French speaking forums actually so do monitor the SNCF market quite closely.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Here in France, TGV models in HO are actually quite common!
I could get a TGV set, with track, for 40euros!
Not that I could be tempted

·
Registered
296 Posts
Aye, the starter set's extremely to find *grins* It's the middle wagons that are the tough ones to get!

Kim

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I am currently in the process of adding yet another topic to my collection. I had been pondering SNCF, as I already model/collect DB and SBB, so SNCF would be a neat addition.

However, I have found zat zee French dealers are extremely difficult to deal with (before you ask: since my French is pretty bad, I asked my gf´s sister who lived in Paris for a few years to translate my mails), hardly any reply to mails, shipping costs are quoted in the vicinty of "o lá lá", models "may be there, we´ll mail you again tomorrow" (anybody know Garth Brooks´ song "If tomorrow never comes"...?).

I had become very fed up wizz zee French dealers when my landlord, who is Italian, showed me some pictures of the Venice area, where his family is from. He boasted that most Italians speak German, so I´d have no problems ordering from them. Since we were both under the influence of a very few hot Amarettos topped with whipped cream (and, I think, a few Averna), I decided to mail an inqiury to an Italian dealer, in German, asking for a specific engine and even asking him - in German, but I´ve started learning Italian now - about the prototype and models.

I am now the owner of an FS E402B (Hornby, I mistook the engine for a Rivarossi(I) model, but until now, it´s good), and am planning to purchase a ViTrains E464 this christmas. The dealer even sent me some pictures he made of the E402B, and advised me to get the ViTrains rather than the Acme E464.

SNCF? French dealers? Not for me anymore.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Which dealers have you tried going with? I've bought a few things from Pierre Dominique, and they seem to be pretty good at responding to email inquiries. Shipping times are a bit slow, but not unbearable.

I've actually found that with the British pound being so low at the moment, during price comparisons the UK ends up being cheaper than if I buy on the continent...

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
QUOTE (Kimbo @ 19 Oct 2008, 17:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Which dealers have you tried going with? I've bought a few things from Pierre Dominique, and they seem to be pretty good at responding to email inquiries. Shipping times are a bit slow, but not unbearable.

I've actually found that with the British pound being so low at the moment, during price comparisons the UK ends up being cheaper than if I buy on the continent...

Pierre Dominique never replied to my mails. I´ve tried some dealers who advertized in French magazines and who carried the models I was interested in - no idea which ones they were anymore, since I hadn´t kept the emails we had exchanged, and since I´m through with French mrr dealers in general.

Guess I´m more used to Swiss, Austrian and Danish dealers (and, as of recently, Italian, too), who value their customers.

·
Registered
296 Posts
There may well be cultural differences at play - depending on whether a hobby shop finds their web shops to be of importance to them. In general, I've found both Belgian and French hobby shops to be much more interested in the customers that come to the shop than otherwise.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Many thanks to everyone who has replied, glad I've joined the Forum. Sorry to here some people have had difficulties with French dealers, currently I live in Toulon so I use my local shop, Micro Model, who is helpful and who stocks a reasonable collection of well priced secondhand models., as well as the full priced latest editions. However I have used internet shopping with Pierre Dominique and train-modelisme who are both good. However for UK residents I can recommend On tracks and Arcadia Models, (in Shaw Gtr Manchester) the latter really is excellent.
I prefer to browse around in model shops rather than use the internet,my latest purchase is a Fleichmann SNCF 230F, special price from Micro Model, picked up this weekend and runs great.
Many thanks again for the replies, delighted to help anybody who wishes to get a particular SNCF item.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Clive hi,

Is there any chance of any models of the below Loco's:

Manufacturer of prototype :Alsthom / Jeumont

Manufacturer :Groupement 50 Hz

Manufacturer : Corpet-Louvet

Manufacturer :Batignolles, Creusot

Thanks

Baykal

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (ebaykal @ 20 Oct 2008, 10:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Clive hi,

Is there any chance of any models of the below Loco's:

Manufacturer of prototype :Alsthom / Jeumont

As ever Baykal you turn up another amazing assortment of Turkish motive power amassed from all over.

With regard to the photo above I think this was released as part of the Hornby ACHO range, however I wouldn't swear to it.

Regards

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dear Ebaykal,
thanks for the photos, great mix of powerful looking locomotives! I'm not sure we'll get any models of these coming through in the near future, however all of them have more than a passing resemblance to French locos available in HO. Obviously I don't know the dimensions of the locos in the photos but the first photo (Alsthom) look very much like the Jaquemin locos delivered in the late 50s to the SNCF, modelled by Roco (SNCF BB 9000/16000/25000 series). The second photo looks close to the 8500/16500/25500 class, formelly modelled by Jouef but soon to be released in the 16500 series by ViTrains. Not sure of the wheel arrangement for the third photo, but it looks like something similar to the SNCF 050B modelled by Roco. The fourth photo looks very much like an SNCF 140C currently produced by Liliput. Obviously each would have to repainted and a few things added with plasticard, but the alternative would be to scratchbuild, which unfortunately I don't have the time or the ability to do. I'm a great believer in "if it looks right it is right" whether or not the dimensions or equipment carried are correct.

Hope this helps, by the way I really like the photo carried at the end of your post, very atmospheric and realistic, is it the maligned 150X by Trix?

regards,

Clive

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Clive hi,

Thank you very much for the input. These french loco's are the missing link in my collection. I will have to do some research on the information you kindly provided and see what comes up.

QUOTE (clive hayward @ 20 Oct 2008, 20:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...... by the way I really like the photo carried at the end of your post, very atmospheric and realistic, is it the maligned 150X by Trix?

regards,

Clive

Clive that ones a Roco 44. The Trix...... well thats a different story

Check out:

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...?showtopic=5400

Cheers

Baykal

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Baykal,
thanks very much for the link, that BR 44 is quite simply brilliant!
If you need more help with your reseach into the French made locos, let me know.

Regards,

Clive

1 - 20 of 20 Posts