Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hello.

I am a new member and already this forum seems to be a good place to get information. I am lucky enough to be able to work on 1:1 scale with trains
(working on tram projects) but prefer working on a 00/HO layout (which is currently homeless while I fix up the attic
) but which is partly set up every weekend
. I also have a seven year old daughter who loves playing with the trains (she has her own thomas locomotive and favourite carriages and I will get her an emily- her namesake).

My favourite activity is finding and fixing locomotives (mechanical and electrical stuff) and collecting odds and sods. I have posted a request for information under the title 'Fixing Locomotives' which sort of describes my projects.

I look forward to getting and sharing information on what seems an active and informative forum.

I don't have an anorak but I have a raincoat

regards

Basil

P.S. Dia dhaoibh literally means (God be with ye). However, this is a way of saying hello and I am not religious in any way (apart from supporting all the gods just in case).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hello to you over there in the fair city from us
Try a body warmer they have more pockets than an anorak
My little one (Ryan) likes Thomas to its great its a way to get there interest in trains

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Teleman @ 12 Jan 2008, 00:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello to you over there in the fair city from us
Try a body warmer they have more pockets than an anorak
My little one (Ryan) likes Thomas to its great its a way to get there interest in trains

We tried body warmers here but they just got soaked right through. Mind you we have evolved a waterproof layer. Our latin name is 'Hibernia' or 'winterland'. No wonder the romans ignored us (full of wild people and bad weather - a scout report in 100 AD).

The novelty engines are a good way to get the young ones involved (and implicates them in our fun).

Many thanks

Basil

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (poliss @ 12 Jan 2008, 02:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Basil, I hope your wifes name isn't Sybil.

Thankfully it isn't. However, Basil is a 'nom de plume' but given to me as a nickname by my friends many years ago as apparently my personality is similar to a certain other Basil. Gawd help us.

I have no intention of starting a hotel

B

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 12 Jan 2008, 02:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Failte gu na Forum Basil,

you'll get plenty of advise and information on here.

I have two raincoats I brought from Scotland, they don't get much use here though.

Go raibh maith agat Neil.

Any chance of exporting some of that aussie sun over to us. We can swop for some rain so your raincoats will get some use (and it will help the drought situation which I believe you have).

Fair dinkum

Baz

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Basil @ 12 Jan 2008, 19:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Go raibh maith agat Neil.

Any chance of exporting some of that aussie sun over to us. We can swop for some rain so your raincoats will get some use (and it will help the drought situation which I believe you have).

Fair dinkum

Baz

Tapadh leat

You can have as much sun as you want, after a week of forty degree days I'd love to be running around in the snow.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
***Bíonn adharca fada ar na ba thar lear Neil & Baz

Too much of either is a problem - I'd love to be in the snow too, Perhaps standing on Ribblehead station platform again or wandering up to Blea moor with cold feet, but I'd soon be hankering for the fact that while far too hot in summer, every day has at least a few minutes of Blue sky back here in Perth.

(and that almost exhausts my Gaelic) - I have only a few "sayings" stuck in memory along with the odd totally unpronounceable bit of Welsh wisdom.

Richard

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
This must be the first new member thread with chunks of it in Gaelic

But welcome anyway Basil and enjoy your visits.

Regards

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 13 Jan 2008, 06:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>***Bíonn adharca fada ar na ba thar lear Neil & Baz

Too much of either is a problem - I'd love to be in the snow too, Perhaps standing on Ribblehead station platform again or wandering up to Blea moor with cold feet, but I'd soon be hankering for the fact that while far too hot in summer, every day has at least a few minutes of Blue sky back here in Perth.

(and that almost exhausts my Gaelic) - I have only a few "sayings" stuck in memory along with the odd totally unpronounceable bit of Welsh wisdom.

Richard

Maith an fear (Good man)

regards to the blue sky.

Read Flann O Brien ,The Poor Mouth' for the best description of Irish Weather.

Baz

·
Registered
595 Posts
[quote name='Basil' date='11 Jan 2008, 23:03' post='44695']
Hello.

I am a new member and already this forum seems to be a good place to get information. I am lucky enough to be able to work on 1:1 scale with trains
(working on tram projects) but prefer working on a 00/HO layout (which is currently homeless while I fix up the attic
) but which is partly set up every weekend
. I also have a seven year old daughter who loves playing with the trains (she has her own thomas locomotive and favourite carriages and I will get her an emily- her namesake).

Hi Basil I also have just joined and have a seven year old daughter called Emily who is mad about Thomas the tank. I have many Irish connections, all my family are from Cork, I go over 2 or 3 times a year and love it there.

Regards Baz

1 - 14 of 14 Posts