Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello ive just subscribed and dont kwow much about how forums work ive just started back in the world of railway modelling after a 12 year absence not bad to say im only 29 i was building layouts for as long as i can remember untill i was 17 but other things, beer,women and football took over. i was thinking for a few years to get back into it and now am settled down and moving into a new house and the misus has finally agreed to let me have my own room for my stuff i will have a nice sized space for a layout. i used to model in oo but this time round ive gone for n "more for your space"and that n gauge models have become so much better these days unfortunatly i have fogotten a lot of what i knew mostly lthe electrics side of things, dont know exatly how much room ill have but i think 11 by 3 a half mabe 4 feet. so here it all starts for me

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (ben100 @ 26 May 2008, 11:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Welcome to the forum!
I hope you get back all your former knowledge thanks to the forum!
Regards,
Ben
cheers i hope so, just been reading about dcc thats all new to me,think al leave that for now and get my head round an eletro frog not that good with them used to use insul frogs thanks. bri.s

·
Registered
894 Posts
Welcome (again) bri.s

All the gang here would, I am sure, help you regain your knowledge of all things railway, and there are already many useful ideas and hints here, and if not just ask. There are some very knowledgeable people here too, oh and me

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (hairyhandedfool @ 26 May 2008, 11:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Welcome (again) bri.s

All the gang here would, I am sure, help you regain your knowledge of all things railway, and there are already many useful ideas and hints here, and if not just ask. There are some very knowledgeable people here too, oh and me

thanks mate slowly finding my feet so to speak. cheers bri.s

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 26 May 2008, 18:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi & welcome to MRF.

Any questions at all just ask away, someone is sure to have the answer.

Enjoy the hobby.
thanks mate any idea on on setting up an electro frog point cant get my head around it do i always have to insulate and use a switch for the polarity

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hi Bri and welcome to the MRF, particularly as you are another N Gauger like myself.

I would seriously suggest you give further consideration to DCC as, IMHO, it makes life so much easier and allows more prototypical running, including double heading.

As regards electrofrog points there are no real wiring differences to insulfrog, apart from having to change the polarity of the frog itself. Just remember to feed from the toe only and insulate the two lines leaving the point. I am using Seep PM1 point motors which allow you to automatically change the frog polarity as the point changes. I am attaching a wiring diagram which you mght find helpful.

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Diagram

Cheers,

Expat

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Welcome to the forum mate, I am sure you will soon get back into it and this is a great forum, always someone willing to help and advise.

ENJOY.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (Expat @ 26 May 2008, 21:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Bri and welcome to the MRF, particularly as you are another N Gauger like myself.

I would seriously suggest you give further consideration to DCC as, IMHO, it makes life so much easier and allows more prototypical running, including double heading.

As regards electrofrog points there are no real wiring differences to insulfrog, apart from having to change the polarity of the frog itself. Just remember to feed from the toe only and insulate the two lines leaving the point. I am using Seep PM1 point motors which allow you to automatically change the frog polarity as the point changes. I am attaching a wiring diagram which you mght find helpful.

View attachment 424

Cheers,

Expat
cheers mate its something to think about i have seen a engine working with dcc and a sound system in and it just takes railway modelling to the next level but isnt it more expensive as my budget isnt that big il have to have a good read up on it. i think my 37 has the basics to be dcc its one of those new farish ones allover green no warning panels but i want to run some class 76/77 electrics so i dont know if i can dcc those,i recently purchased one already built and its an oldish kit so i dont know if it will take the chips without serious tinkering but the thought of double heading two 76s without one being a dummy is great i wonder if you can get an authentic sound for them as well, also can you get dcc sound for the wagons too the thought of the screeching wagons rolling past would be awesome. thanks bri.s

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (41235 @ 26 May 2008, 23:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Welcome to the forum mate, I am sure you will soon get back into it and this is a great forum, always someone willing to help and advise.

ENJOY.
cheers mate theres a lot to study to get me up to speed especially dcc it wasnt that common 12year ago but ive bought 4 different model railway mags for the last 6 months so plenty to go at .thanks bri.s

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (bri.s @ 27 May 2008, 07:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>cheers mate its something to think about i have seen a engine working with dcc and a sound system in and it just takes railway modelling to the next level but isnt it more expensive as my budget isnt that big il have to have a good read up on it. i think my 37 has the basics to be dcc its one of those new farish ones allover green no warning panels but i want to run some class 76/77 electrics so i dont know if i can dcc those,i recently purchased one already built and its an oldish kit so i dont know if it will take the chips without serious tinkering but the thought of double heading two 76s without one being a dummy is great i wonder if you can get an authentic sound for them as well, also can you get dcc sound for the wagons too the thought of the screeching wagons rolling past would be awesome. thanks bri.s
also just became a member of the n gauge society and got there journal theyve got some nice kits so i will probably invest in some of those i think.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (hairyhandedfool @ 26 May 2008, 11:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There are some very knowledgeable people here too, oh and me

Welcome bri.s - another Brian I suspect!

I can only echo the comment above and say if you're stuck fire away - someone normally has the answer, as for me - I just have a very suspect sense of humour.

Regards

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 27 May 2008, 14:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Welcome bri.s - another Brian I suspect!

I can only echo the comment above and say if you're stuck fire away - someone normally has the answer, as for me - I just have a very suspect sense of humour.

Regards
thanks mate and your suspitions are correct was gonna put something more original but couldnt think of anything witty without being cheesy so bri.s it is

1 - 14 of 14 Posts