Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm Bill, a 55 year old from Scotland who took early retirement and moved to the beautiful island of Penang.

I finally have a room in which I can build a model railway. The baseboards have been built, tracklaying has been started and I've constructed a number of card and plastic building kits. Soon I will have a place to run the models I have bought over the past few years.

I grew up in Ayr, overlooking the busy railway line just north of the station. My layout will attempt to depict somewhere in the west of Scotland in the 1960s. Apart from using mainly railway locomotives which were used in the area, I have some Western SMT buses which will be more familiar to non-railway enthusiast friends from Ayrshire.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi Bill,

Welcome to the forum, your plans sound good are you going the DCC route with it ? would be nice to see some pictures as it progresses.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

DCC sounds good but I'll be sticking with analogue control as I am familiar with it. I also don't want the expense of having to convert the locomotives I have retained from an earlier layout.

I might post some photos when I have worked out how to do this.

Cheers,

Bill

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (Jonners @ 11 Aug 2008, 11:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

DCC sounds good but I'll be sticking with analogue control as I am familiar with it. I also don't want the expense of having to convert the locomotives I have retained from an earlier layout.

I might post some photos when I have worked out how to do this.

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Bill,

One way to share your pictures with us is to upload them to a free picture site such as http://fotopic.net/ register there for free import the pic to your file on the site copy and paste the link here ......
done

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the hint 'upnick'.

Here are two pics of my station - built from Peco kits.
station01
station02

I used a Ratio kit for the goods shed.
goods01
goods02

Red sandstone was commonly used for public buildings in the West of Scotland and terracotta was the nearest colour I could find. I have still to weather the buildings.

Bill

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hi Bill and welcome to the MRF from one expat modeller to another.

I'm presently living in Dubai but plan to retire in the not too distant future to Guilin in Southern China.

Like the models, Very neatly put together and should look goos when weathered a bit.

Look forward to seeing your progress.

Happy modelling,

Trevor.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Hi Jonners and welcome

You seem to have made a good start.

Regards

1 - 10 of 10 Posts