Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a professional field archaeologist and new to railway modelling, having just turned 60 (don't look it, don't feel it, but thanks for the bus pass!), although not to modelling as a hobby. I was heavily into military modelling from the early 70s to rthe mid 90s when my close up vision started to go and I sort of ground to a halt. I still have all my made models and a large stockpile of unbuilt, both figures and AFVs, and I fully intend to get back into it, probably when I retire, if not sooner. I'm now getting into railway modelling, having always been into railways, largely because I have an 8 year old son who's been well brainwashed by me (and Wilbert Awdry). He's had an eclectic collection of (mainly) Hornby trains for a while now and wants a board layout. He's keen on the trackmat plan but has extra track as well, so I plan to build him a 6'x4" board with a double track oval etc, to use the track he's acquired. This will go in the loft and there's enough space for a line to run off the oval to a terminus. This will be my "project", although trains will run from one to the other. Time is a problem and I have to get the big board under way before I can start on my bit. However I've started collecting stock and track for it. I'm looking at a fictional South Dorset harbour town with GWR and SR services, a sort of cross between Swanage and Weymouth, in the period late 30s to about 1952. Operating sessions, when I get that far, will be set in circa 1938, 1943-44, or the very early BR period, with vehicles and other movable details to match. The WW2 era will probably predominate, given my other interest. That gave me a lot of experience of weathering models and using photos and observation of the prototype to achieve it. I've already weathered some of our wagons with good results, and the long term aim is that all the locos and stock on "my" bit will be weathered. At the moment I'm still researching and finishing off draught proofing the previous owner's loft conversion, which was done by Roy Rogers and his mates. I seem to have rambled on a bit, so that's it for now.
Pete

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Hi Pete,

welcome to the forum. I studied some archaeology subjects at University. I loved it. Field trips were good too. Wish I could have made a career out of it.

Any questions you have should get an answer on here.

Cheers

Neil

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Hi Pete,
Welcome to the forum,

Like yourself i moved from military modelling to N gauge railways and use the knowledge i gained previously to help me.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hi Pete and welcome to the MRF.

You've certainly chosen are area of England that is close to my own heart and I look forward to seeing your progress. If you need help, just ask away and you are sure to get plenty of friendly and helpful advice.

Cheers for now,

Expat.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Hi Pete and welcome to the forum,

It's always good to see members with interests apart from railways.

I managed a bit of archaelogy in my youth and still occasionally do volunteer work on local digs when time permits, mind you these days i prefer the industrial variant.

Regards

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 5 Sep 2008, 13:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I managed a bit of archaelogy in my youth and still occasionally do volunteer work on local digs when time permits,

Regards
Now here's me thinking that all your spare time went on SL !

Welcome to MRF Pete.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts