Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
ive been reading this forum for a while,looking for answer to a few of my questions.so then i thought maybe i should just become a member and just post a new topic with all my questions on to see if someone could help.

firstly ive just taken the plunge of selling my 00 gauge to start the joys of n gauge modelling,so looking for a few answers before i go out an spend the money on th wrong things

1.what is the best way to fix down code 55 track?ive seen about screwing it down then ballasting the track then removing the screw,but for my first project i think i would like to just to have a layout that has basic scenic details but runs well,so now ballast as of yet!

2.best way to cut the track??in 00 gauge i used a junior hacksaw which worked well,but seeing as n gauge track is smaller will it work as well,also ive seen the xuron track cutters available are they any better for cutting the track??

some help would be great

cheers
Tom

·
Registered
59 Posts
hello and welcome .ive just been given a little drill and some cutting disks dont know the name of the drill i think its a dremmel tryed it out on some code 80 and i had good results although i need a bit of practice i cut one rail to an angle and had to file it level.i thought the ends might need a bit of tidying up but the fishplate went on easy enough

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers guys for the help,i think at the moment ill just buy a pair of xuron track cutters and see how it goes

Tom

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I prefer the track cutters. I tend to melt the sleepers when I use a cutting disc. :)

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi Tom,

Welcome to the forum

I use code 55 track and the Xuron track cutters over the years i have tried thee minicraft drill and as bri.s has daid had the same problems orv the worst scenarion buzzed the rails with the drills chuck made a lovely mess

If you go for the Xuron cutters make sure you cut the sides of the rail not top to bottom, with tracklaying i set it on trackbed dry then ballast with PVA glue mix no need for screws or pins.

·
Registered
59 Posts
iam about to start fixing the track down with pva but i dont know what to do about the ends of the baseboard where the tracks will meet is pva strong enough or should i use another method it has to be taken apart from time to time any sugestions please

·
Registered
47 Posts
I used a mini drill and slotting discs for years to cut both N and OO with no problems. Then I had a few incidents where the disc shattered on me, once leaving a piece embedded in my forehead. Fortunately it only just broke the skin and caused no injury as such. But ever since I have used Xuron cutters which I find easier and more accurate with no burred edges to clean off.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
***Nick sorry, but that is totally the opposite of the way to do it!

Step 1, mark the rail with a fine black marker pen
Step 2, carefully cut away the plastic web first.
Step 3, always cut from top of rail to bottom, not from the side.

code 55 Peco is a hard one to do well as they bury it in the plastic instead of using true code 55 rail... best cut with Dremel/flex shaft but it should still be done that way (top to bottom) with cutters to minimise distortion.

(I teach track making/point making and track laying and also sell about a thousand pairs of track cutters a year (my own brand track cutters are harder and sharper so last longer than current Xuron - I use a better base material and harden to 105% to make sure of it!) )

Re the Dremel, the only way to get a vertical cut is to use the flexible shaft - its an essential accessory for dremel you will wonder how you got away without it when you buy one!

regards

Richard

QUOTE (upnick @ 7 Jan 2009, 09:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Tom,

Welcome to the forum

I use code 55 track and the Xuron track cutters over the years i have tried thee minicraft drill and as bri.s has daid had the same problems orv the worst scenarion buzzed the rails with the drills chuck made a lovely mess

If you go for the Xuron cutters make sure you cut the sides of the rail not top to bottom, with tracklaying i set it on trackbed dry then ballast with PVA glue mix no need for screws or pins.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 9 Jan 2009, 08:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>***Nick sorry, but that is totally the opposite of the way to do it!

Step 1, mark the rail with a fine black marker pen
Step 2, carefully cut away the plastic web first.
Step 3, always cut from top of rail to bottom, not from the side.

code 55 Peco is a hard one to do well as they bury it in the plastic instead of using true code 55 rail... best cut with Dremel/flex shaft but it should still be done that way (top to bottom) with cutters to minimise distortion.

(I teach track making/point making and track laying and also sell about a thousand pairs of track cutters a year (my own brand track cutters are harder and sharper so last longer than current Xuron - I use a better base material and harden to 105% to make sure of it!) )

Re the Dremel, the only way to get a vertical cut is to use the flexible shaft - its an essential accessory for dremel you will wonder how you got away without it when you buy one!

regards

Richard

*** Richard,

Indeed i was wrong i have always used the Xuron cutters the way i described following the instruction with them, after trying top to bottom a lot cleaner cut results of course ........ though now i use a large diamond disc in the mincraft drill giving a sharp clean cut.
regards

Richard

1 - 11 of 11 Posts