Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,

Hi, I am new to the model rail hobby. I live in the UK and while searching for a starter kit, I came across Hornby models at Daniel store. This week, during my holiday visit to the Brussels, I saw Marklin models as well. Would you please advice me on selecting the right setup and good foundation for model trains so that I can expand it over the years.

Many Thanks

Warm Regards
Adiesun

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dear All,

Thank you very much for your responsiveness and positive statements. As advised by most of you, I need to do study and research before I go ahead with the investment. Since I am new, I guess it will take sometime for me to understand the technical details of the rail networks.

Many thanks again for your help.

Cheers
Adiesun

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Doug, dbclass, Britho and others dear members,

Based on your advice I have done some study over the past couple of weeks and visited few shops.

At the moment, I have narrowed down my search to Hornby Digital Train set for two reasons:
1. I live in the UK (Maidenhead) so I guess Hornby models (and parts) will be accessible
2. I like the style and class of the trains running in the UK and associate myself with them.

If you have some final advice for me, please let me know.
Also, if you can tell me about your preferred online stores or shops in the UK to buy Hornby train models (I plan to buy Hornby Pendolino DCC Train Set Product Code: R1076). I am surprised that most of the stockists listed in the Berkshire areas are closed on Sunday and others do not have this model (talking of accessibility hmmm! sometime forces me to think for Marklin but can't find appropriate store/shop for this either and finding it more expensive).

Warm Regards
Adiesun

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dear dwd, Britho, Doug and Members,

As advised, I made a visit to Alton Models and it was a great experience with a very helpful staff.
Not only that I had my first purchase in Model Rail journey and invested in the following:
1. GWR WESTERN PULLMAN DCC SET R1077 - £230 (Amazon is giving for 225 - shipping free)
2. VIRGIN TRAINS PENDOLINO TRAIN PACK R2467 - £108 (Amazon is giving for 120 - shipping free)
3. Track Pack Extension Pack D R8224 - £25.20 (Amazon is giving for 28)

I am sure there must be better deals but I just made the decision against time and money spent so far in this research

The entire I had a great time with my 7 yr old son. I have yet to try Pendolino. I am sure it will be fine.
I realised the benefit of DCC controller when I was able to manage 2 locomotives from one controller. Wow, I am talking your language, all credit to you guys for helping me.

I made two observations:
1. When I run the locomotive GWR CASTLE 'BUILTH' No 4086 (R2389) in the REVERSE direction it makes a "ticking" sound which is not there during FORWARD movement.
2. There were no lights in any of the components of GWR WESTERN PULLMAN DCC SET R1077. Perhaps, these are the kind of details I should make when I go for next investment.

At the moment I will use what I have got with this purchase and only when I have identified appropriate place and some permanent location, I will plan for landscape and layout.

Many thanks,
Kind Regards
adiesun

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dear Members,

So I am facing the first challenge now since 01-Sep-2007 (my first step into model railway).
As mentioned earlier in my post on 02-Sep, I bought:
1. GWR WESTERN PULLMAN DCC SET R1077
2. VIRGIN TRAINS PENDOLINO TRAIN PACK R2467
3. Track Pack Extension Pack D R8224
and additional, tracks, trucks etc

However, only PENDOLINO TRAIN set I had tried yesterday for my son (he is 7 seven and kept it reserved for his birthday. He is very fond of it).
What I found was that unlike the other two train pack (or engines), this Pendolino's start and stop actions are not smooth at all. There is vibration, shudder and strange motor noise as if it is trying overcome some rough resistance. It becomes ok only after reaching some high speed.

Today morning, I called Alton Models and explained this observation. The lady (who is discussing with other gentleman/partner also at the shop) told me that:
i) they do not have any more PENDOLINO TRAIN pack
ii) they do not have any digital DCC ready spare parts
iii) I should contact Hornby on Monday and call 01843 233 500 and ask for Service Department, which can tell me what to do next. If I have to ship it to them etc.
iv) that I should not run it any more to avoid further damage etc (actually I kept it aside last evening itself and put it back in the pack to dispatch)

My initial reaction is that I am quite unhappy because I have spent £108 for the PENDOLINO (Total of £461.35 purchase from Alton Models). I was expecting replacement from Hornby/Alton Models and not expecting denting/repair work on a brand new set and using the same again.

Could you please advice and share your experience.

Many Thanks

Kind Regards
adiesun

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.