Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to say hello really.

Due to various circumstanes beyond my control - ie having to spend a day recently 'playing' with my wifes godparents 30' long layout, I think I've found some kind of new spiratural home.

Much to my suprise, my wife has readily agreed to a layout being constructed in the new year.
Which gives some time to pick up tips and tricks from members of the forum.

James

·
Registered
352 Posts
QUOTE (Dennis David @ 25 Aug 2006, 23:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Here's your first tip .. don't wait til the first of the year, your wife might change her mind!

And heres my second tip, Follow dennis davids first tip. strongly recommended (model railways can seriously damage your wealth) but they are good fun. Good luck with your new layout.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hello James and welcome to the forum.

For a third tip, decide what gauge you are going to use and start to buy some bits and pieces ready for "the off", experience tells us all that a lot can be spent over a period of time without being noticed by "other authorities".

A fourth tip might be, negotiate and claim your space, then you can build your baseboards in advance, thereby establishing your hobby as the norm in the new year.

No problems with deciding what to get as christmas presents for you this year then !!!

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Hi James and welcome to the forum

The new season on eBay is starting to pick up. Build a couple of searches and save them so that you get emailed whenever an item that you are after becomes available. This way, you can take your time and be selective before the layout arrives.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome and the tips.

A little about me - I'm 41
, married with three children (14,10 and 8). Ten years ago, I had managed to create a starter layout around 8x4 (it folded down out of the wall) Moving house, business and children put paid to that.

This time around however we are very settled, and my Wife sees the modeling aspect as something I can share with my 8 year old daughter and the electrics with my 10 year old son.

To that end I'd like to create a current era (A4 is a paper size to me
) DCC layout with the facility for the trains to run (bit hard on the kids otherwise). The amount of space is being negociated at the minute
(more on that in this awaiting edit thread) - but it is a question of shape not area.

10 years ago I was reading quite avidly Railway Modeller etc. (remember all the fuss about adverts with web pages not being allowed). DCC was just starting, and I came close then to building a microcontroller based DCC unit.

Coming back, some things have moved on, Peco seem slighlty more forward looking, DCC is here in a big way (amazed it's taken Hornby so long) - though I'm still suprised how expensive the extensions to DCC like automatic block control etc are.

James

·
Registered
21 Posts
QUOTE (Gwent rail @ 26 Aug 2006, 09:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello James and welcome to the forum.

Thanks,

QUOTE For a third tip, decide what gauge you are going to use and start to buy some bits and pieces ready for "the off", experience tells us all that a lot can be spent over a period of time without being noticed by "other authorities".

I will of course be doing that - I'm sure the 'other authorities' (lol) realise subconsciously that all the tools in my workshop and all the stuff in the Audio Visual rack must have cost something - but I'm sure I'll also manage to keep the real cost of the "trainset" well below the surface.

QUOTE No problems with deciding what to get as christmas presents for you this year then !!!

I hadn't made that connection Doh

James

·
Registered
34 Posts
QUOTE (James Day @ 27 Aug 2006, 16:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ten years ago, I had managed to create a starter layout around 8x4 (it folded down out of the wall)

James

Interesting, that's kinda where I am now. I'm working on a 7x5 starter layout that folds down from the wall (I wasn't allowed much space
) Actually 1x7 stays where it is and only 7x4 folds down. That way my staging area stays flat and means I can store locos there. Plus I have 1' of clearance for scenery when it's folded away.

I'm returning to the hobby after 25 years (my last layout was when I was 16). Like you, I'm also amazed that DCC is still "some kind of new-fangled technology" that's only just taking off. Zero-1 and other systems in electronics magazines similar to DCC already existed a quarter of a century ago!

Here in the US, DCC is well entrenched and almost all the large layouts I have visited are DCC.

·
Registered
370 Posts
How have you attached the folding part to the 1ft section TD ?
Yes, I know with a bracket arrangement, but could you give some detail and tell us how sucessful it's been. I'm sure there will be others, starting off, that will find the idea useful. Perhaps a few positives and negatives of this system would be good. Thanks in anticipation.

·
Registered
34 Posts
QUOTE (Gwent rail @ 29 Aug 2006, 16:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>How have you attached the folding part to the 1ft section TD ?
Yes, I know with a bracket arrangement, but could you give some detail and tell us how sucessful it's been. I'm sure there will be others, starting off, that will find the idea useful. Perhaps a few positives and negatives of this system would be good. Thanks in anticipation.

Basically the two boards are hinged together with the hinges mounted about 3/4" above the surface of the boards. I used the expensive solid brass hinges for minimal play (by that I mean the kind that are made from a solid piece of brass and not the bent sheet kind). By mounting them above surface level, the boards pull apart as the main board is folded up, so even the track which is on cork and therefore about 1/4" above the surface also pulls apart. I made the board framing very sturdy and then added 1x6 planks on the hinged faces with them sticking up about about 3/4" for the hinges to mount on top of. I guess a diagram would make it much clearer!

Notches were then cut in the protruding planks to allow track to be laid across the join, once it was solidly fixed in place I used a dremel to cut the track.

So far it is working great, I haven't wired up the track yet but I've had no trouble with various pieces of rolling stock crossing the join.

I can store trains in the fixed section and because my backscene on the folding section is mounted about 6" from the join and is about 1' tall, it forms a nice dust cover over the trains when the layout is folded away!

The only negative I can think of with this arrangement is that the staging area is kinda hard to reach so I made an 18" access hole in the middle of the main section so I can get to it.

The key to its success I think was very careful planning of the woodwork before I started construction.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts