Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Im pretty new to this, my dad has always been going on about having a railway in the attic, so for christmas, i bought him a pretty bog standard hornby Flying Scotsman kit. I took the loco out of the box to check it worked (dont want to be anoyed on xmas day).

Anyway, I kinda got hooked, and deided to build him his attic railway. The attic is relativly big, its carpeted, plastered and has proper stairs, so now ladder thing to cope with.

The biggest problem was the full height double doors that hid the water tank from view. The track, clearly for it to be much fun, has to go round the entire room so the water tank doors were a massive obstruction. There are other doors around the room which lead to the eaves of the house, but luckily these were low enough to not get in the way.

So, to fix the problem, i hacked two holes in the walls (only plasterboard) and built a removable bridge system inside the cupboard. This consists of a lift out 2m long section that can be easily removed to gain access to the tank. At either end is a trey type thing that supports the corner tracks out of the tunnel.

The whoel thing can be removed in about 20 seconds in case of a leak or somethign similar.

Anyway, here is a youtube video of a small loco pulling two coaches through the tunnel....

Video

Let me know what you think :-D

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hehe, hopefully.

I have just finished the board that goes all the way down the right side of the room, and I have half done the main board where the main town and station will be. I have just got to link them up now.....

Il get you some pictures today...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, i tooks some more pics.

You cant see the tunnel in this pic. The strip along the side of the room, runs over the stairs, then into the tunnel.

I have not finished adding all the wooden spars to the bottom of the MDF, so at the mo it is particularly flimsy, hopefuly tomorrow i can get it much firmer.

picture 1

picture 2

·
Chief cook & bottle washer
2,919 Posts
So I s'pose poor ol' Dad won't be able to get near it then
You'd better think of something else he can play with.............. I know, what about another Loco' or two

1 - 9 of 9 Posts