Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although a 'lurker' since April, I thought I'd better introduce myself.My name is Paul (Mays), and although interested in model railways for over 45 years,have been a 'serious' modeller for about 30.
Originally from Ongar in Essex, many of my train-spotting jounts started from that memorable station in the early 60's.
One of the founder members of the Ongar & District MRC(I'm not sure if it's still in existance!),about 1975-then went on to be co-founder member of the Chelmsford club along with the late Geoff Selvage.
Moved to Dorset in 1986 and started to dabble in full size stuff at Swanage where I was a volunteer, and member of the Council Of Management until I had to pack it in due to pressure of work-was owner of Motorail Books in Bournemouth, which I had to close due to lack of trade 2 years ago, in between time I was a member of the Wimborne Railway Society.
Now I work full time at home with my wife where we are foster/respite carers for disabled youngsters with 2 full time(fostered), and one part time (respite). I am a member of the Blandford Town Museum Railway Society where we are building a 4mm working model(portable for shows ?) of Blandford station as it was in it's last days when the goods yard was still in full working order (late 50's). I am in the process of building a new layout, after having sold my last (Bembridge), so as to show off my collection of locos, it is a former LMS shed with fully working number 2 coaler, 6 road shed beside a double track main-line, fictitously called Cannons Green Lane.
Thanks for your patience-Paul.

·
is asleep
758 Posts
Hallo ex-lurker Paul,

Welcome and thanks for deciding to share your experiences and knowledge with us! I'd like to see some pictures of your current layout under construction. I wonder how easy is to set up a MRC in your experience? Is it a case of having a big garage/abandoned Scout Hut to hand and inviting some friends round at the beginning?? Or possibly approaching anoraked and bearded men in the street giving them the secret traction-tyre sign?

(Although I am in Birmingham at the moment I haven't made an effort to look into local clubs, if there are very many about, (there are hardly any model railway shops anyway) because the chance of them being into European (let alone Euro N) are probably vanishingly small alas....so resourceful as ever (haha hardly!) I thought perhaps I could form one of my own.)

Goedel

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (goedel @ 15 Sep 2007, 21:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hallo ex-lurker Paul,

Welcome and thanks for deciding to share your experiences and knowledge with us! I'd like to see some pictures of your current layout under construction. I wonder how easy is to set up a MRC in your experience? Is it a case of having a big garage/abandoned Scout Hut to hand and inviting some friends round at the beginning?? Or possibly approaching anoraked and bearded men in the street giving them the secret traction-tyre sign?

(Although I am in Birmingham at the moment I haven't made an effort to look into local clubs, if there are very many about, (there are hardly any model railway shops anyway) because the chance of them being into European (let alone Euro N) are probably vanishingly small alas....so resourceful as ever (haha hardly!) I thought perhaps I could form one of my own.)

Goedel

Hi,
When things get somewhere near presentable I'll post a few pics of the new layout, but apart from a half built 'Cenotaph', which I'm still trying to perfect the tippling action,there is little else to show at the moment.
As for starting a MRC, I advertised in the 'Railway Modeller'-the only one around at the time (I think)-1979-ish. I was quietly pleased with a good response, one of which was someone with a shop with a large half empty store room, ideal to get things started-and it snow-balled from there .I think the Chelmsford club is still going strong with the likes of Jaz Milham as a member. I learned quite a lot from Ongar, with members such as Stephen Poole at the time ( now there's a name from the past).
Paul

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Hi Paul and welcome,

it looks like you'll be able to answer a few of our questions.

Regards

1 - 6 of 6 Posts