Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

New to posting on the forums - I have been a 'reader' for a while (mainly the DCC forum after getting back into the hobby with my father and picking up some Digtrax kit from the States) but when I saw a post asking for information on the Athearn N Big Boys I thought I should register and 'give something back' for all the useful tips I have picked up.

So a bit about me:

Like most I started back with a passing interest after being brought a train set as a gift - in my case an LGB Garden Starter set by my ex-girlfriend. My father has always maintained an interest so it was nice to be able to do something together - we got a real kick out of the first Warley show we went to about three years back now. I hate stereotyping but even I had to admit you could easily spot the train fans on the platform at Bham International - it was the same time as the Clothes Show so anybody 18, female, with a pile of designer gear and shoes I guess wasn't exhibiting a layout! Warley was great and it was nice to be welcomed back as it were - you are a very friendly and helpful bunch and I haven't looked back.

After Warley Dad and I became a 'collector/magpies' basically buying locos and stock that interested us over the last few years whilst planning 'the layout', so we built up a fair collection of G, OO and N bits over time between us - including some of the stuff he had kept from when I started as a child.

I have to admit to being a bit disappointed when I first returned as some of the locos and rolling stock etc that I came across - particularly the British outline stuff in both N and OO didn't seem that different from when I left the hobby as a teenager - old tooling, 'interesting' running characteristics etc. That said after spending some time I can see the industry is changing and reacting to the demands of its customers which can only be a good thing going forward.

We now a have a British outline (no period we just run what takes us) taking shape using mainly Hornby and Bachmann RTR. Some of the new stuff from both of these companies I think is great and is really moving things forward for the benefit of everybody in the hobby.

We also have an American Outline N layout using Kato unitrack taking shape. We are fortunate enough that we have family in the States and through these links got into Kato US, Atlas and recently Athearn. I have to say I have been staggered by the quality of these N models - nearly all DCC friendly, run really well, flywheel drive, lighting, etc and in case of the Athearn DCC sound, and all (I feel) at a competitive price when compared to their UK cousins.

I suppose that brings me onto the reason I registered. I have just imported two N Athearn Big Boys from the States (no I am not a closet millionaire one for me one as a surprise Christmas present for my father which I have saved for a while for). They arrived this morning and on first appearance I can confirm everything that the reviews have said - they are really impressive.

Well I have typed more than enough - maybe I should have registered sooner when I had less to tell!

Thanks for the inspiration, advice and encouragement. It's good to be back.

M

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (mattmail @ 7 Jul 2008, 08:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi there,

SNIP

I suppose that brings me onto the reason I registered. I have just imported two N Athearn Big Boys from the States (no I am not a closet millionaire one for me one as a surprise Christmas present for my father which I have saved for a while for). They arrived this morning and on first appearance I can confirm everything that the reviews have said - they are really impressive.

SNIP

M

***Hi Matt

Welcome to the forum - I'm pleased you like the big boys - they are streets ahead of earlier ones by all accounts.

We have few US prototype N scale reviews on the forum - you have the loco's and from your posts so far write very well, so if you have a digital camera why not do a full review and post it? Its always helpful for others to see these reviews and they are well appreciated by all.

Just read through a few of the other reviews on the forum and go for it....

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi Matt,

Welcome to the forum, still looking and deciding on purchasing one of the 'big boys' and would be interested to know how you find them, even in N gauge i have been told they are huge locos.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Hi Matt and welcome to MRF.

Surely one of the most comprehensive intros ever.

Enjoy tour visits.

Regards

1 - 8 of 8 Posts