Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all

Thought it would be polite to introduce myself on here, been interested in the railways for years however have only just begun to start collecting. Don't really have a favourite era, if I like the look of a particular train then I'm sure I can find space for it on any future layout.

I am hoping to build my own full layout in the next few years space and work commitments dependent. To start with and to learn the right techniques aiming to build a small scene featuring the skaledale coal drop (based on an idea seen in an early edition of Hornby magazine). That should give me some idea of what sort of level I am at!! Any hints or tips much appreciated.

Gareth

·
Registered
531 Posts
Welcome from another comparative Newbie - well actually returnee.
I have a similar coal drop on a small OO shunting layout. I have based mine in the Somerset coal fields and obtained a selection of PO wagons appropriate to the area for the period up to about 1960. There are some great wagons available RTR from eg Wessex Wagons, Buffers etc and some good tips available on weathering them, which is almost an art in itself. My plan is to obtain some steel BR coal wagons later and also give them the treatment so I can move the period forward a few years as the whim takes me.
Just one enthusiast's thoughts - I am sure you will get more. And it's your layout so whatever you do is right! Good luck and have fun.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Welcome aboard Gareth

I can only echo the previous comments

Regards

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hi Gareth and welcome to the MRF.

That's the beauty of out hobby, we can do what we like, often using the excuse of a "Preserved Line' to justify mixing anything and everything. At the end of the day though it doesn't really matter as long as you get pleasure from what you achieve.

Enjoy your modelling and if you need any help or advice you know where to come.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts