1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry everyone.
:

I don't know a thing about DCC at all.

My first main question is:

what do you need with a Bachmann E-Z Dynamis controller to make it work?

I know you attatch it to the track but would thins work or do you need something else like that transformer thingie?

please help me!!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hi
All locos to be operated on DCC will need to have a DCC decoder fitted inside (if not already fitted). Each loco is given (by the user) a unique address (number) and when that address is entered into the consol only that loco will respond to the controllers settings. All other locos will remain at their last settings until that particular locos address is called up and the setting altered for it.

All mains power supplies etc are normally provided with a consol. So it's just a matter of removing all the old DC connections and then plugging the new DCC consol track feed leads into the rails. If you have two or more loops or tracks then the rails from the inner loop must be joined to the outer loop electrically. i.e. All left hand rails are connected together and all right hand rails are also connected together. As a precaution remove all non DCC locos from the rails or alternatively place them in a totally isolated siding, it is best to run only decoder fitted locos as non fitted locos may suffer motor burn out eventually.

My web site offers some advise on how to connect up a DCC layout etc which you may find helpful?
http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/DCC.htm

Good luck

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Decoders in the loco are required. I would imagine Dynamis would function straight out of the box unlike the Hornby Elite which does not include a track power clip or seperate leads for a programming track having only one set of leads in the box which seems a little odd but there we are.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will phone bachmann when it is released. I am still only preparing for a 00 guage model heritage railway.

·
In depth idiot
7,673 Posts
QUOTE (Smerlinare @ 2 Sep 2007, 10:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Why is a transformer needed ..
Having the transformer as a separate item from the control unit is probably the lowest cost way of making the control unit suitable for sale anywhere in the world. Adaption to the local power supply voltage is then just a matter of adding the correct transformer. It also means that anyone who already has a low voltage power supply doesn't have to buy a superfluous transformer.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Having a separate transformer also makes getting safety approval easier too as the insides of "your" box no longer contain dangerous mains voltages.

David

1 - 9 of 9 Posts