Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
why is my DCC shorting everytime i try to use my double slip :S

I have the bachmann starter EZ comand DCC unit i currently have 2 ready DCC loco's bachmann regional railway 37 and the BR class 25 i have a coding track and have got them running indepenantly on a straight but when it comes to using my cross over they short :S hummmmmm dunno if ive wired it up wrong or wether u need a plastic fishplate on the crossover

any ideas chaps? btw i dont know that much about DCC so if i cant get it to work im going to go for normall control and get a gaugemaster transformer

Nick

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (7 1/4 Nick @ 29 Jun 2008, 22:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>why is my DCC shorting everytime i try to use my double slip :S

I have the bachmann starter EZ comand DCC unit i currently have 2 ready DCC loco's bachmann regional railway 37 and the BR class 25 i have a coding track and have got them running indepenantly on a straight but when it comes to using my cross over they short :S hummmmmm dunno if ive wired it up wrong or wether u need a plastic fishplate on the crossover

any ideas chaps? btw i dont know that much about DCC so if i cant get it to work im going to go for normall control and get a gaugemaster transformer

Nick

***Nick - put plastic fishplates on every rail of the slip (all 8 of them) and give it its own 2 power feed wires, one each side at its waist.

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Nick,

Richards answer is sound, I am still DC, using a mixture of Electro frog points with insulfrog slips and wire the slips as Richard suggests and is the way Peco show them wired in the instructions.

Hope it works.

David

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have a problem with my curved points,most of my hornby locos create a short and associated rolling stock
dont seem to have any problems with my bachmann locos,could it be the wheels are travelling slightly over onto the oposite rail?
any advice would be great,i am using the ez dynamis and decoders.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
QUOTE (bootonie @ 21 Jan 2009, 22:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i have a problem with my curved points,most of my hornby locos create a short and associated rolling stock
dont seem to have any problems with my bachmann locos,could it be the wheels are travelling slightly over onto the oposite rail?
any advice would be great,i am using the ez dynamis and decoders.

Have you checked the back to back wheel measurements of the Hornby locos ? This could be your problem.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Back to Back is the measurement from the back of one flange to the back of the other flange on the same wheelset. I shall not be drawn as to what it should be as it can vary depending on the track you use.

Additionally, you might find that the back to back is not actually the problem but the alignment of the wheelsets is.

A lot of experimentation and careful measuring with calipers and straight edges might assist you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
many thanks for enlightening me,i was considering adding some thin plasticard strips on the inside of the check rail,failing that flog the hornby stock on ebay!
will persevere with this as it seems to be mainly older stock with slightly wider wheels.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
QUOTE (bootonie @ 22 Jan 2009, 09:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>many thanks for enlightening me,i was considering adding some thin plasticard strips on the inside of the check rail,failing that flog the hornby stock on ebay!
will persevere with this as it seems to be mainly older stock with slightly wider wheels.

Back to back's can be adjusted on most rolling stock of the last few years to suit the B2B gauge that all modellers should have to suit the specific trackage & wheels standards such as mentioned on http://www.doubleogauge.com/standards/index.htm. Most rolling stock should run through Peco Code 100 pointwork without major problems are adjustments.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I see I am weeks out of date with this reply, but I have had exactly the same problems with double slips and long peco points, even though the ds is wired as described in an earlier post. I also had problems with Hornby diesels shorting as they crossed the dead frog of the regular points. I also added thin strips of plasticard to the check rails - no result. Then I found the answer, which I think is dependent on having additional pickups on the unpowered bogies. It was as simple as adding a small piece of insulating tape to extend the dead frog on both points and double slip by a couple of millimetres. The Hornby wheels are wide, and as suggested, actually touch both rails of the vee, causing the short. The tape extends the dead vee by just enough to ensure that the wheels no longer touch both vee rails. Now, all my diesels will cruise at slow speed over all the pointwork.

I suppose that normally extending the dead frog might not be a good idea, but I have fitted extra pickups on the rear bogie, so power is maintained, and I no longer have the frustration of frequent shorts, but instead, running is much more reliable - and its cheap and quick to do.

JD

·
Registered
71 Posts
.....and I should have added that I had already checked the b2b measurements of all the wheels - I agree this is essential.

JD

1 - 12 of 12 Posts