Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made the decision around Easter time to use the excellent hornby skaledale retaining walls as a base to surround my MPD. Sadly the shop I placed my initial order with have recently informed me that they cannot get the final 3 packs of level 1 walling that I need to complete the scene. I have tried in vain to find them anywhere including contacting many model shops and multiple EBay searches. I contacted Hornby who told me that the walling had been discontinued and as the level 1 walls were the most popular, they were already sold out.

So, if anyone can point me in the direction of a shop that has stock, or has any lying around themselves that they don't need, I'd be more than grateful.

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Sorry - unable to help you, but I did want to comment that if Hornby knows these particular retaining walls are popular (by the fact they've sold them all!) why don't they continue to produce them? They are, after all, a very basic scenic item with the potential, I would have thought, to continue selling for years to come.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The moulds for the resin(?) buildings etc have a limited life so once they are sold out the prices go sky high on ebay. As for the retaining walls there seem to be a lot about - try Modelzone and Ontracks

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I wish Hornby would make some more but I can't see that happening at the minute.

Re Ontracks and modlezone, they both sold out some time ago.

Rob

·
Registered
108 Posts
Rob,

Can you give me the product numbers of the bits you require and I will see if I have them stashed away somewhere?

I am privileged to get various samples from Hornby and if I have these you can have them to finish your project.

No promises mind!

Black 5 Man

·
Registered
284 Posts
what are the hornby product numbers, My local Toymaster prides him self on stock atleast 1 of all hornby accessories, therefore he may have them from old in stock

Cpt Jack

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Skaledale has a very limited shelf life and I believe that Hornby have a listing on their website of stockists and stock of hard to find items.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hornby's policy of not doing additional production runs once stocks have sold out is generating quite a secondary trade in those items.

I have been after a particular out-of-production Lyddle End model for some time now and keep getting pipped in the last minute on e-bay auctions. The last one went for over £20 compared to a new price of just over £12. Anyone with a stock of out-of production Skaledale or Lyddle End models is sitting on a potential gold mine.

I guess that's what's called 'free market enterprise'.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Firstly, thanks guys for all the comments, very much appreciated

QUOTE (black 5 man @ 2 Dec 2008, 23:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Rob,

Can you give me the product numbers of the bits you require and I will see if I have them stashed away somewhere?

Black 5 Man
Thanks Black 5 Man, the item I am looking is the Level 1 retaining wall in 00. Its reference number is R8729. I'm after three packs in total (to go with the 8 I have had since Easter!) but clearly will take what ever I can get!

QUOTE (butler-henderson @ 3 Dec 2008, 18:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Don't believe Modelzones web site, my local branch is full of them - many at sale prices.
Ah ok, sadly as I live in Northern Ireland I don't have a local branch of model zone so have been going by their website, I wonder do they have the level 1 R8729 though or just every other bit of the range like a lot of other shops!

QUOTE (Cpt Jack Sparrow @ 3 Dec 2008, 19:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>what are the hornby product numbers, My local Toymaster prides him self on stock atleast 1 of all hornby accessories, therefore he may have them from old in stock

Cpt Jack
Thanks 'Jack', would be great if he has any of the level 1 walling r8729 in stock!

QUOTE (60134 @ 3 Dec 2008, 19:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Skaledale has a very limited shelf life and I believe that Hornby have a listing on their website of stockists and stock of hard to find items.

Thanks, Hornby themselves believe this item to be completly sold out now. However I am sure that there will be many shops around the country that still have one or two of them in stock.

QUOTE (upnick @ 3 Dec 2008, 19:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi 80class,

A quick search on ebay brought up the following results

Alternativley Antics are showing stock on their site
Thanks, but sadly none of them have item R8729.

QUOTE (Expat @ 3 Dec 2008, 21:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hornby's policy of not doing additional production runs once stocks have sold out is generating quite a secondary trade in those items.

I have been after a particular out-of-production Lyddle End model for some time now and keep getting pipped in the last minute on e-bay auctions. The last one went for over £20 compared to a new price of just over £12. Anyone with a stock of out-of production Skaledale or Lyddle End models is sitting on a potential gold mine.

I guess that's what's called 'free market enterprise'.
The price of a sucessful business model, make what you know you can sell then always leaving them wanting just a little bit more!

Thanks,

Rob

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Whilst I can understand not continually churning out models of "Bob's Fish & Chips" shop, I can't really see the point in not re-running stuff like the retaining wall. There must be a lot of people like 80class using it as a major component of their layouts and buying it over a long period of time. At the risk of a lecture from a learned civil engineer
, one retaining wall is pretty much like the next isn't it?

David

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes I feel like that too David. I suspect, although I could be wrong, that rather than make new moulds of the same items, they will make new retaining wall moulds in a similar but different style in the next year or too. Perhaps stone this time rather than brick. It is very frustrating though!

Rob

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for taking the time to check Mal.

Great fun this stock chasing game...

Rob

·
Registered
675 Posts
QUOTE (80class @ 4 Dec 2008, 13:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Great fun this stock chasing game...
Was surprised to find Skaledale on Amazon but not the walls you want (they've got 8728, 8730, 8731...) but did you try calling/e-mailing the retailers who sell other Skaledale on Amazon? Like Mr Toybox, and so on.
mal

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Frizinghall had some on their shelves a couple of weeks ago despite not being featured on the website www.modelrailshop.co.uk. Suggest you send them an email via the contact link on the web site

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE (Purley Oaks @ 4 Dec 2008, 15:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Was surprised to find Skaledale on Amazon but not the walls you want (they've got 8728, 8730, 8731...) but did you try calling/e-mailing the retailers who sell other Skaledale on Amazon? Like Mr Toybox, and so on.
mal

Thats a good idea, I'll try that tonight and see what they get back to me with, thanks!

QUOTE (Cpt Jack Sparrow @ 4 Dec 2008, 15:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>How about here

http://www.bathmodelcentre.com/catalog/cat...l-1-p-5297.html

I placed an order with Bath two weeks ago, and was then told they are out of stock. The chase continues!

QUOTE (Lord Castellan Creed @ 4 Dec 2008, 16:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>World Wide Shopping Mall

all I could find
Sadly they too are out of stock (They don't tell you till you proceed to the checkout) Thanks though!

QUOTE (butler-henderson @ 4 Dec 2008, 18:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Frizinghall had some on their shelves a couple of weeks ago
Worth a shot! Thanks

Rob

1 - 20 of 35 Posts