Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Now I'm sure there are plenty here who will point me in the right direction for the correct prototypical lighting for this loco. As I got it for less than 35 pounds I see it as a opportunity to add extra to it and if I get it wrong first time I got a spare!

I plan to add a 4 function or 6 function TCS decoder I got from DCC Concepts, depending on what you guys tell me.

The rear first.

What lights did she have, colour and location. The yellow square was this a small light and if so what colour?

Did this loco have cab lights and if so what colour?

Front of loco

I assume 3 whites here.

The loco itself, any other lights mounted on the side?

Anything else interesting that needs to be added?

Thanks in advance for your help.

m

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I'm not sure but I'm sure that I've heard or read somewhere that this loco is a bit of a pig to ffit a decoder in. The lights will be the standard German pattern of one at the top and two at the bottom at noth ends (represented by the silver white circles on each end. It would be unlikely to have had cab lighting I would have thought.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards

·
Registered
189 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 5 Jun 2008, 16:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>AFAIK it would display 3 white lights front & rear when shunting & possibly a very dim cablight.

Generally trains (and trams which is my area) display white to the front and red to the rear (this being the standard here for heavy rail as well).

Maybe check with

http://www.modellbahnstudio-thueringen.de/

as this is a great site for genuine Tuetonic railway

Have fun

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies so far.

So if I got this right 3 white at the front 3, red at the rear, with 1 tiny white at the rear also and a very dim cab light.

So TCS 4 function decoder will be fine.

I will keep a watch here for the next few days, if anything changes.

Thanks for all your help guys.

m

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Purely personal opinion -

This locomotive is virtually a 100% shunting locomotive, confined to operations totally within it's works complex (hence being "fireless) & well able to top up it's steam storage on site.
It will never venture out onto the main lines so is hardly likely to require red lights. I would wire the front lights to the white & the rear lights to the yellow & disable the directional function on the decoder. This is exactly how we chipped one for a customer (as per his instructions) & knowing him, he would have got his research correct.
As an aside, some steam locomotives that had 3 white lights on the rear also had 2 small reds incorporated in the main lamps themselves. I have not come across any that had three reds.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 6 Jun 2008, 11:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This locomotive is virtually a 100% shunting locomotive, confined to operations totally within it's works complex (hence being "fireless) & well able to top up it's steam storage on site.

Fireless loomotives were usualy used in high fire risk industries e.g. paper mills and chemical works.

This site http://freespace.virgin.net/brian.rumary/Fireless.htm is of interest.

Regards

·
Registered
189 Posts
QUOTE (Martin71 @ 6 Jun 2008, 08:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for your replies so far.

So if I got this right 3 white at the front 3, red at the rear, with 1 tiny white at the rear also and a very dim cab light.

So TCS 4 function decoder will be fine.

I will keep a watch here for the next few days, if anything changes.

Thanks for all your help guys.

m

The replies below concerning shunting must apply. For trams or trains etc on an active mainline, the red applies. It would seem that as a shunter this never moved from the yard so only white.

I learn something new on this forum all the time.

I design the stop environment for trams (mostly at 1:1)

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi John

Now that was really good and given me some ideas. So 3 white at the front and 3 white at the back, tiny cab light and what about the small yellow piece at the rear. It is on conduit's so could this be an external switch or an adjustable light for working at night coupling etc.???

Thanks for the link really really good.

m

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Hi Basil,

That is the great thing about model railways. People may model different railways, but if you can get over the prototype issues, the techniques that different people around the world use can be applied to any layout.

The Europeans IMHO have a more urban railway environment rather than say the US who have a more rural railway approach.

John

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally got lights added to it.

Used surface mount led at the front and tri colours for the rear. 1 used in cab for cab lighting. This was a real pain of a job as I was nearly finished and realised I used the wrong leds for the front. Had to rip them out and start again. Decoder used is a TCS 4 function.

Red lights

Yellow lights

Cab lights

This was the only area you could see wiring but I blended it in nicely and colour matched the lights.

Dont think I want to do another one!

Anyway that the finished product.

m

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Hi Martin

Nice work

How difficult are the SM LED's to work with ?
They look really effective
My Grandson is pestering me to fit lighting (and a decoder) to his little 0-4-0 Redecorated Anna steam loco
I think SM LED's will be the only thing that would fit in

Regards Zmil

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi

They can be very tricky, but with a little practice you will be fine. The hardest pat is not losing the little buggers as they are so small.

I use blue tack to hold them when soldering my first wire to them and then the wire that has being soldered on to hold for the next wire.

Use very thin flexible wire and thin the ends. The other thing I use is conductive paint if i cannot have wires showing.

hope that helps

m

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
What is the spacing on the work mat grid? One inch or 1cm?

TIA
David

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Hi Martin

Crikey they are small!

Did you use decoder wire for the pictured LED

Just toying with the idea of getting the "flicker free" lighting kit with the SMD's
for my centre coaches of the DMU and using a couple for each end of the 0-4-0
But I have to wait for my seated passengers to arrive first

Regards Zmil

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi

The grid is 1 cm I'm sure some of you hoped for 1". The wire I used was the TCS decoder wire which I think is about 3 m in a packet. Nice wire, high melt point on the insulation thins nicely and good quality stranded copper.

Now if you use SMD's with the boards it is a lot easier see pic's. I have used them in n gauge to good effect.

What you see is 4 smd's with the board painted and a 1k resistor working off 1 function on the decoder.

I read on another forum last night about people getting annoyed about old topics like this for example being raised after they have being inactive for a couple of months. So if that what I have done sorry maybe I should have started a new post. further to this also the mention of going off topic.

m

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Martin71 @ 15 Sep 2008, 12:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I read on another forum last night about people getting annoyed about old topics like this for example being raised after they have being inactive for a couple of months. So if that what I have done sorry maybe I should have started a new post. further to this also the mention of going off topic.

m

I don't understand that attitude at all - after all this is a continuing thread with information posted as it becomes available - far better IMHO to keep a thread going otherwise the subject gets far too fragmented.

& anyway, going off topic/off on a tangent is one of this forums specialities & IMHO all the better for it.

& also, thanks for the update.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts