Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm just in the process of building myself a small n gauge oval layout (1.55m x 0.6m). I've constructed the baseboard and designed the layout using XTrkCad. Before I go any further (like buying/laying track) I'd like to paint the baseboard in preparation for scatter ballast and grass (at a later date). The layout will be ballast by the tracks and grass elsewhere ... nothing too adventurous, it is my first attempt. Painting baseboards and ballasting are new territories to me. Any advice on painting a baseboard would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Al

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
QUOTE (AlfromKent @ 4 Sep 2008, 14:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi,

I'm just in the process of building myself a small n gauge oval layout (1.55m x 0.6m). I've constructed the baseboard and designed the layout using XTrkCad. Before I go any further (like buying/laying track) I'd like to paint the baseboard in preparation for scatter ballast and grass (at a later date). The layout will be ballast by the tracks and grass elsewhere ... nothing too adventurous, it is my first attempt. Painting baseboards and ballasting are new territories to me. Any advice on painting a baseboard would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Al

Hi Al,

Painting your boards depends on the eventual finish colours of it i believe, mine will probably recieve a burnt umber paint keeping in with an earth type background being neutral,
Advice on ballasting after a quick search found this .....

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...?showtopic=5576

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
A quick covering of brown/fawn emulsion will give a good basis under scatter etc, and will not cost a great deal.

Regards

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
QUOTE (AlfromKent @ 4 Sep 2008, 15:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi,

Cheers,
Al

Hello.
Any type of emulsion in a mid to dark brown colour will do. Cheap & cheerful. If you draw your plan on the baseboard you will know which parts you don't need to paint.However since you layout baseboard is small, just paint the whole board.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought of using emulsion or painting the baseboard brown. Makes perfect sense, after all soil is under grass. I'll be heading down to B&Q on Sunday

1 - 6 of 6 Posts