Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

This is my very first post here. I have found this forum extremely informative and helpful with all that I do. Some fantastic idea's have being suggested and like everyone on here we all benefit from them. Thanks!

My layout is OO, DCC with Select Controller. It is not very big, L shaped 3750 x 2400 x 1500mm. Currently in the process of building it and now I want to look at DCC Sound and smoke.

I have a Hornby NEM Flying Scotsman duel smoke stacks, that I want to fit 2 smoke Sleuth's to and a LOK 3.5 DCC Sound decoder. What is the correct smoke unit to use. Is it a no 8, no 22 or no 23.

I got this back from a DCC supplier:

"Currently the Loksound 3.5 decoder is the only choice for OO sound, as it is
programmable. There will be other options coming up by December this year
in the form of the Zimo MX640, this will offer excellent facilities for
steam loco sound. However, it is pre-production at the moment."

Does anyone know anything about this Zimo MX640 unit. Anyone currently running Zimo and what do you think? Who is running Loksound and what do you think of the sound decoder?

I plan to do 2 more loco's with sound in the future. 1 will be a small tank engine and the other.....we shall see, it will be steam.

I also plan to upgrade my controller, love the spec's on the ECOS but want to see what the Danamics is like. I have had no problems with my select and have had 7 loco's running at once with no booster. I must be one of the lucky ones!

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,

Martin

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a million for all the info guys.

QUOTE There is another decoder, the Soundtraxx Tsunami which is popular but it requires a special booster to programme properly. These come with some generic US sounds.

What does the booster do, help you programme the sound decoder. Loksound have a programmer for there decoders, thats why I liked it. When I finally get real sounds I can have up to 4 sounds running at the same time.

QUOTE The sleuthe 23 with the range 8-16 volts and with a rubberised cover is the one recommended for DCC. I'm currently testing this so no comment on it's suitability.
I've also installed Sleuthe 100 this is great for wide chimneys like in the Merchant Navy, for these I machine a tuffnol bush to protect from heat. I've also used first class trains smoke unit again with a protective bush and they offer excellent value for money. With these you can build up a paper bush using epoxy to bind the paper to make a bush to protect the body.

I have a 20% Kevlar filled Black High Temp Nylon 66PA which I can machine the bushs out off. First class trains is excellent, thank you for that. Who has the best prices for the smoke sleuthe in the UK or US, I live in Perth, Australia. Im also after 2 no 7's for my factories and mines.

I was thinking if using a freight car with my tank engine to hold the sound decoder. My wife loves Hornby's "Smokey Joe" but I dont think I will get a sound decoder in there.

So many choices now..... Has anyone got good sound for their Flying Scotsman and if so can I download it when I decide on what decoder Im going to use.

Thanks once again guys.

Martin

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all

I have just ordered some smoke units and lights from 1st class trains, should get them in about 3-4 weeks. He also does the sitting HO plesser figures for 16 pounds which now saves me chopping the legs off my standing ones.

How do I do a search on Yahoo for the sounds?

Kind Regards,

Martin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.