Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can someone pls help !!

i'm designing my layout at present, what radius are the curved points in peco code 55??

also what distance should there be between the tracks for two ovals (i know this depends on the radius of the curve, but radius will be circa 15" (depends on answer to other question above!!)

thx

Ian

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hi Ian and welcome to the MRF. Glad to see another N Gauger joining our merry band.

The link below should take you to a pdf file of Peco point geometry which was attached to an earlier thread on this subject.

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...post&id=363

As regards distance between tracks the standard distance, centre line to centre line on the straight, is 25mm but you may need to increase this on curves depending on the wheel base of your carriages and the amount of overhang beyond the bogies.

Hope this helps but feel free to come back if you need more information. The N gauge Society is a good source of information like this and I recommend you join.

Regards,

Expat.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
According to the 'official' Peco gauge the track centres are about 27.5mm (centreline of track to centreline of adjacent track). I have curves down to 14" and have not had to increase this dimension even for the largest UK stock. This may not be true if you're modelling another country, as some overseas coaches are longer.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hi Edwin,

I would hazard a guess that the Peco standard is set at slightly more than the "official" standard to avoid rolling stock clashes but still allow the ends of the track to be in line with each other when laying a twin track inner and outer 180 degree bend. It has obviously derived fom the 'Setrack' modular system.

Nevertheless the "official" centre to centre track spacing in N Gauge is 25mm. Attached is a diagram and table of all of the "official" NRMA model railway loading gauges. i.e. the ones that loco and rolling stock manufacturers must comply with.

View attachment NRMA_Loading_Gauge.pdf

Regards,

Expat.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
QUOTE (Expat @ 16 Apr 2008, 16:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Edwin,

I would hazard a guess that the Peco standard is set at slightly more than the "official" standard to avoid rolling stock clashes but still allow the ends of the track to be in line with each other when laying a twin track inner and outer 180 degree bend. It has obviously derived fom the 'Setrack' modular system.

Nevertheless the "official" centre to centre track spacing in N Gauge is 25mm. Attached is a diagram and table of all of the "official" NRMA model railway loading gauges. i.e. the ones that loco and rolling stock manufacturers must comply with.

View attachment 385

Regards,

Expat.

Thanks for posting this link - 25mm track centres sound about right for the prototype and I agree Peco probably go for a slightly higher figure to reduce problems on curves. The Steamline point geometry is designed around the wider centres so you will need 27mm at a crossover unless you plan to shorten the curved leg of each point.

However I suggest that your reference to Setrack is a red herring. The figure I gave is for Streamline - the Setrack spacing is considerably wider though off the top of my head I can't remember what it is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts