Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'll draw you up a simple plan using the Ratio signals, but first you have your direction of travel arrows the wrong way round, simple but a lot of us will notice and get all picky!

Trains travel on the left exactly the same as on a road, (hence the BR double arrow which is simply an up and down direction arrow overlapping each other).
You'll need 3 or 4 starting signals, (one might be replaced with a shunt dummy) and a couple of home signals. The Homes and starters all look identical, ie red plate with a vertical white band. You probably won't have room to fit in any distant signals as most layouts are too small.
The signalbox is most likely to go at the end where the entrance to the yard is as the rodding runs would be shorter and easier to pull, but that depended on all sorts or reasons such as if you had a level crossing the box would usually be next to it so the signalman overlooked the crossing and could have the operating wheel in the box.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Here you go, there are other possibilities but this shoud suffice as a start. I used to individual signals for the Up bay starter and the Up main as you can use the pre-built signals for this while you would have to assemble the bracket option from a kit.

I've nominally put London on the left but as long as the Line going towards London is called the Up then you are fine.

·
Registered
312 Posts
QUOTE (Robert Stokes @ 8 Mar 2008, 10:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Being a Midland modeller, I don't like that facing entry to the goods yard.
Not ideal, apart from junctions they always try to go for trailing points as they are safer but with his original diagram for direction of flow he had got that right, just I pointed out we run on the left!
It's a learning point for anyone but if you give people a list of how it's done on the real railway you risk making it very daunting for new modellers, ( also you will invariably find an exception where they 'did do it that way') This forum is very good in that it can cater for those that just like the models and want to run them and those that want to model a railway in miniature.
I have a fair idea of signalling as it's my job but I can't claim to have an exhaustive knowledge due to the variety of types on different regions and mine is all from experience on the Southern.
Maybe a checklist of basic layout planning features such as those raised in this thread would help some people who are aiming to make their layout closer to reality?
I read the articles on signalling your model railway in modelrail recently and I could have pointed out several flaws but if anyone is that interested they would probably do deeper research anyway. I was quite surprised to see that evidently Tokenless block is obsolete as we have it all the way down the West of England line!

In model railroader there's a cloumn that looks at a lot of the issues in real v models and pointed out how the train never waits for the manual points, in yards, as it would do in reality as we always move ahead and set them up in advance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.