Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,

i got a bachmann class 66 from hattons this week and have not had any luck with it. there seems to be something wrong with the bogies. every time they go over points or a section of unevern track the wheels seem to float while the centre wheel in the bogie set sits nicely on the track. i tried running it in reverse, rear bogie leading but the other bogie set does the same thing. i was not thinking it was the track as my other locos have no trouble at slow or fast speed. plus the hornby class 66 was ok so iam thinking its the bachmann one. has anyone else had this and if so, is there a way to fix it?

i would like to know before i get more class 66's. if it is a bachmann thing i will think about going with 37's and 60's. as they have had no trouble.

please help!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Pepe007

I think the body needs to come off for further investigation.
Four screws, each one just behind the inner wheels, at the rear of the bogies.
It could be the pick up wires going down to the bogies (red and black going through holes either side of chassis) are to taught not allowing good bogie movement.
Another reason could be the bogie tower screws are to tight and need slackening off slightly.

Hope this helps
Dr Diesel
Jeff.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Also, check that the bogies are not catching on anything as they swing (assuming that Dr Diesel's point about the wires is not the cause). I found that on one of my 66s I had to file a very small amount off of one of the bogie rears to stop it catching on the underframe.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi guys,

thanks for the help i will try that today. the bogies spin is ok its just that all the weight seems to be on the center wheel of the bogie, causeing the leading and rear wheel to sit above the rail head. i had a run of it last night and it happened on a bend as well. the leading wheel stayed streight while the loco went into the curve. i will try the screw plan this afternoon and yet you know.

thanks again

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
You could also check that the bogie frames are correctly mounted on their chassis. I had this problem on a 24 recently, and that derailed every time it reached a point.

Any help?

Regards

·
In depth idiot
7,683 Posts
Before taking anything apart, and especially before modifying anything on the loco, do the basic inspection. Invert the loco, put a steel rule edge on the wheel treads, and sight along it. If the centre wheel is standing high relative to the outer pair, it's faulty, and should be returned to the retailer as such.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts