Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all i have got to the stage where i want to add shop's and town houses to my layout. i would like to have a go at scratch building them instead of getting the bachmann or hornby ready made ones. i was going to buy the kits from scalescenes and use them as a template to get the scale right. before i do that i just wanted to ask if there are any free templates out there on the net?.

many thanks for you info and help
francesco

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I started my layout with Superquik and Metcalfe then got dissatisfied with them. I hit on the idea of remanufacturing the kits using scratch build techniques. These aren't actually free but the kits aren't expensive. I simply measured off the dimensions. I expect you can buy these things ready made up (and in a tatty state) on second hand stalls.

"http://rapidshare.com/files/218738018/Building_Improvements.rar"

To me the results are very good.

I illustrate the Superquik corner pub C7 and Metcalfe terraced houses with before and after. I also show my latest building based on the Superquik A11 - Stationmasters house. I have also done the Metcalfe shops.

I have tried the free Scalescenes kits in Hornby Magazine - they are not my cup of tea.

I haven't attached pictures before, hopefully this works.

·
Registered
99 Posts
nice work with the kits, i think i will do that too. best way to get the size right. nice idear thanks for the help. i will post some pics on my site after i have had a go.
www.francescopepe.fotopic.net

thanks again

·
Alan D
1,480 Posts
I have never been keen on the houses from manufacturers hence I am scratchbuilding from plastikard.

If you have lot's of patience I would encourage you to do it. But don't start as I did with cheap tools, get a good cutting matt, steel ruler, a small engineer's square and a sharp blade. You will also need a scribe of some kind to scratch out stone work.

Check out my blog and see what I am up to at the moment. And once again patience is the key. It took me 2 hours last night to cut out 7 window frames.

A Scottish Tenement?

Cheers

Alan

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Great looking model Docster, the key is to obtain good info from the real thing. I completely agree about the tools and PATIENCE. You have to have the discipline to perform a task and then let the glue/paint dry! The station masters house took about 3 weeks to complete, doing a bit here and a bit there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts