Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I have finnished laying the track on my layout,which is based on Torrigton 1956/57 and i have got stuck!!

The thing is i have lots of pics of the buildings but no plans of them , and as thier are no kits out thier i can use
I will have to make them myself.
I have a few books on scrach building but they all seem to say the same thing ie work from a plan.
Can anyone help me as i do not want to ruin the layout with rubbish buildings.
I am useing plasti card to make them from .
If anyone can give me some tips on how to go about it in the right way .

Darren

·
Registered
233 Posts
Darren,

From what I understand, you need plans for the buildings associated with Torrington?

Do some of the building books describe how to use a photo to create a drawing? I believe that at least the Wild Swan publication provides some help and you need to find that article.

If you have a known datum such as a door height or a brick size, you can use that to scale drawings, it is tedious work but the only method unless:

1. Try the Torrington Tourist Information Centre, Castle Hill, Torrington, EX38 8AA for details of local study groups or at least the North Devon unitary council which should have responsibility of all the area archives.
2. Join the Yahoo Southern E-Group
3. Ask the NRM or George Reeves of Irwell Press for help.

It is extremely doubtful if anyone on MRF will provide the detailed plans that you need, I am in the same situation with my layout, therefore you need to help yourself.

I have a fair collection of publications relating to the Withered Arm, once you have decided what you want, you could contact me for further assistance.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Hi Darren

72C has beaten me to saying it, but likewise I have a lot of material on the railways of the "withered arm" I will have a look when I get a chance and see what I have.

Regards

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi c72
Thanks for getting back to me about the buildings , the buildings i need to make are as follows...Goods shed...Engine shed....signal box..
I can get from the south western circle a 4mm plan of the Station building .
I have the following books, Branch lines to Torrington , Lines to Torrington and th withered arm, and Marland light railway.
I will try to count the brick work on the goods shed and try to work out the size from that ,the Engine shed is made from wood ,with a small rest room made from brick on the back ( which part of this is still standing in the garden of the puffing billy pub)
I have taken lots of pics of the things that are left on the line (which is not very much
)

All the best
Darren

PS. Do you live near Torrington as i would like to meet somone who is into model railways ,as i do not go to any clubs and being stuck out in the sticks, this is the only way to find things out.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I am located in West Dorset and my spare time is somewhat limited.

You will need to do most, if not all, of the research but I will try to find a method of making plans from photographs, it is in one of the Wild Swan books.

My books include the new Irwell Press N.Cornwall Survey and the usual collection of picture albums, I use them in order to build a picture of traffic to and from the West Country via the Salisbury-Exeter line.

Why not use the Scenecraft wooden loco shed as a basis for rebuilding?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi 72c
Yes i did look at that ,but Torrington shed is a singal road shed that can hold two locos.
The Scenecraft wooden loco shed can hold only one loco,so it look like it will have to be scrach building .
If i could just work out the sizes for them then i will be able to make them .
Darren

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
You could approach your local library and see if they have any large scale maps of the station area. These will frequently enable you to calculate the footprint of each building.

Regards

1 - 7 of 7 Posts