Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys i hope someone can help me, I recently bought a Hornby Schools class loco named Shrewsbury.

It had a ZTC decoder in it so i took it off as i only and will only ever use DC. Heres my problem after unsoldering the wires i now have a Tender motor bogie with no wires on it and need to know where they should go

As you can see there are the two arms that the dcc decoder wires came off and there is also a connection on the pin that goes into the arm that connects the loco.

This is a picture of the rear of the loco that connects to the tender, The copper bits dont seem to attach to anything inside the loco body as it is just plastic

Any help from anyone would be greatly received. If you need more info or pictures then just PM me or leave a comment.

Many thanks in advance for your help.
Kind regards
Paul

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
If the decoder wiring was standard connect the motor terminal that had the orange wire to where the red wire was connected & the motor terminal that had the grey wire to where the black wire was connected.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Brian for that but unfortunately i cant remember which wires came off which terminals because i just unsoldered them off. (what a pratt i am)

Thats why i added the pictures you see thinking someone would know from that!.

Plus Brian there weren't any other wires on the tender for reference as to where they would go.

Kind regards
Paul

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Looking at the second picture I'd guess that the RH brush would be connected to the insulated wheels & the LH brush to the chassis.

I'm not too certain about the wiring arrangements of Hornby locomotives.

·
Registered
214 Posts
One wire should go from one of the armature pickups (the long copper do-dads) to the pin that couples the tender to the locomotive and the other should go to a ground on the tender. Basically the loco is one side of the pick-up and the tender is the other so if you get the connections wrong way round the engine will go in the opposite direction to that set on the controller. I am away for a couple of days but when i get back, if you still need help, i will pull my Hunt class 4-4-0 and check out the wiring on that. I suspect the Schools will be identical.
Jim Theaker
Ontario

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks to you both, Will try that over the weekend as i am off to London today on the Wrexham and Shropshire train, Great.

Kind regards
Pul

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Jim and Brian just thought i would let you know i have managed to get my Schools loco going although after i had connected it the way you said it still didn't move so i was very confused.com for a while, Then i noticed the spade connector in the chassis going to the small bogie wheels and then also there were two nickel silver strips coming up from the connecting bar from between the loco and tender. I soldered a piece of wire onto this strip of metal and then soldered the other end onto the spade connector and "Hey Presto" the loco worked straight away.
Again many thanks for your help

Kind regards
Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts