Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Hi Everyone. HELP!!

Please can any one help me with wiring my layout as i am rather useless with electrics on model railways i have wired it up but it doesn't run as i want it to. I have included a small diagram to show you what the layout looks like in a basic form including points etc

Hopefully you can see the image!.
It is basically a passing loop with a platform each side of the tracks with an engine shed (Shown) and a run carrying on to the left for dmu's etc.
I want to be able to bring a train in on the top line run round the train and come back into the station where i want to the keep the train in the loop whilst i bring a DMU in to stop at the lower track (other side of loop) and still have the 1ST train not moving (as it does at the moment).
I would like to then switch points to then allow the 1ST train out of the station while the DMU stays put.

Any help would be a fantastic encouragement to me as at the moment i am pulling my hair out!!! (I havn't got that much to pull out either)

Information i think i will need will be where the power would go and isolating fishplates/break in the track etc.

Thanking you all in anticipation

Madon37s

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (madon37s @ 24 Oct 2008, 22:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Everyone. HELP!!

Please can any one help me with wiring my layout as i am rather useless with electrics on model railways i have wired it up but it doesn't run as i want it to. I have included a small diagram to show you what the layout looks like in a basic form including points etc

Hopefully you can see the image!.
It is basically a passing loop with a platform each side of the tracks with an engine shed (Shown) and a run carrying on to the left for dmu's etc.
I want to be able to bring a train in on the top line run round the train and come back into the station where i want to the keep the train in the loop whilst i bring a DMU in to stop at the lower track (other side of loop) and still have the 1ST train not moving (as it does at the moment).
I would like to then switch points to then allow the 1ST train out of the station while the DMU stays put.

Any help would be a fantastic encouragement to me as at the moment i am pulling my hair out!!! (I havn't got that much to pull out either)

Information i think i will need will be where the power would go and isolating fishplates/break in the track etc.

Thanking you all in anticipation

Madon37s

*** Its no problem to help but if you are not good with electrics we can make it simplest if you tell us what point brand you are using and whether they are insulfrog or electrofrog

Richard

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 24 Oct 2008, 15:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>*** Its no problem to help but if you are not good with electrics we can make it simplest if you tell us what point brand you are using and whether they are insulfrog or electrofrog

Richard

Hi Richard, Thanks for your reply and a big sorry from me forgetting to tell you all what type of points they are.

They all are Electrofrog points by Peco.

Paul

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
View attachment 842 QUOTE (madon37s @ 24 Oct 2008, 23:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Richard, Thanks for your reply and a big sorry from me forgetting to tell you all what type of points they are.

They all are Electrofrog points by Peco.

Paul

***Heres a start - its not the simplest as I started before you advised re electrofrog and I wasn't sure the length of each track section (and its nearly midnight so I didn't have time to check)

.....but:

If the layout is DC it will guarantee that you can isolate a train anywhere you want.
If you use DCC it will need no changes other than swapping the controller and either removing or just turning on all the isolating switches.

legend:

(1) blue and green are track feeds.
(2) red lines are isolation gaps or plastic fishplates
(3) everywhere I have put a purple dot on an feed arrow, put an on/off or SPST switch in that wire to use as an isolation switch for that section. (this drawing gives seven possible isolation sections - you may want to eliminate some, so just don't use a switch where you don't want one.)

I actually did this drawing very quickly before you advised re electrofrog - Someone may advise simplifying what I have done to eliminate a couple of gaps & feeds, and that will be OK... I've drawn it with the max of everything assuming you may want to have max flexibility under DC operation!!

regards

Richard

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 24 Oct 2008, 15:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> View attachment 842

***Heres a start - its not the simplest as I started before you advised re electrofrog and I wasn't sure the length of each track section (and its nearly midnight so I didn't have time to check)

.....but:

If the layout is DC it will guarantee that you can isolate a train anywhere you want.
If you use DCC it will need no changes other than swapping the controller and either removing or just turning on all the isolating switches.

legend:

(1) blue and green are track feeds.
(2) red lines are isolation gaps or plastic fishplates
(3) everywhere I have put a purple dot on an feed arrow, put an on/off or SPST switch in that wire to use as an isolation switch for that section. (this drawing gives seven possible isolation sections - you may want to eliminate some, so just don't use a switch where you don't want one.)

I actually did this drawing very quickly before you advised re electrofrog - Someone may advise simplifying what I have done to eliminate a couple of gaps & feeds, and that will be OK... I've drawn it with the max of everything assuming you may want to have max flexibility under DC operation!!

regards

Richard

Hi Richard
Many thanks for your excellent diagram i will be studying it for some time so i can get my head round it altough i don't think it's too difficult plus i will need to go and buy some isolating switches for it. Yes it is a DC layout.
Again many thanks you are a star.
Best regards
Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts