Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been offered a Bachmann 31-559 V2 "Green Arrow" in British Railways green with a late crest. I have been offered it on the basis that it is a limited edition. However, I can't confirm this anywhere, and there doesn't appear to be any certificate with it. Can someone PLEASE confirm for me whether this is a limited edition engine, or whether I am being sold a pup?

I would be extremely grateful for a swift reply.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (Robert Stokes @ 9 Nov 2007, 19:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I put "Bachmann 31-559" into google and found only three references. The first was for a Vectis auction in 2005 when this engine AND two others, a J39 and a V3, made a total of £80.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Robert. I had seen that as well. The reason I thought it was is that Ramsays guide has it down as a limited edition of 500. I am not sure how to find out, and there is no definitive resource for Bachmann themselves. I always count Vectis as a "trade" auction, hence their prices. They are the opposite end of the market to eBay, i.e. no looney prices!!!!!

·
In depth idiot
7,683 Posts
I have a couple of 31-559, and was told at time of purchase that it was an edition of 500. However, there was no certification, or number stuck on the bottom of the chassis so who knows. The mech. is way better than the earlier models, still split chassis, but smooth like the A4's rather than on the graunchy side. I have done my bit for the 'collector market', both have been externally modified, and had lumps sawn out of their chassis so that lead can go in, and been DCC fitted; and most important of all the boxes are destroyed. So whatever size edition it started as, its' definitely 2 down!

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
It might be a good idea to contact Bachmann to obtain a definitive answer as the chances of another Model Rail Forum member having this precise year 2000 model and being able to answer are slim. But you never know!

Dennis Lovett of Bachmann is the UK's leading researcher on model locomotives and has developed the "Lovett Database" Its a little hobby of his!

I do not have a Bachmann 2000 catalogue unfortuneately so I cannot check that however Bachmann did make limited editions for retailers who commissioned them and this may well be one of those. It is slightly puzzling though as "Green Arrow" was a limited edition in both its BR and LNER guises yet this surely is one of the most popular of the named V2 locos I would have thought!

QUOTE I always count Vectis as a "trade" auction, hence their prices. They are the opposite end of the market to eBay, i.e. no looney prices!!!!!

You may find that trade buyers take the opposite view!

Trade buyers buy on eBay and avoid Vectis! Thats the case among the ones I talk to anyway across the entire spectrum including diecast, soft toys, etc.

I would agree that the trade do turn up at Vectis however most sales are made to private collectors as prices more often than not go well beyond what is viable for traders.

Try buying at Vectis yourself and see how you get on!

Remember to add 22.5% onto whatever you bid.

And beyond that you also have to pay for shipping if you don't collect and Vectis use the most expensive options to fully insure all packages so add a further 10-15% for shipping!

And beyond this Vectis make a 3-4% charge if you use a credit card!

You can see that a £100 item quickly turns into a £140 item!

Happy modelling
Gary

PS I wish I could apply all of the above to my eBay sales!

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Modelfair in their Model Rail advert have the LNER version of Green Arrow on offer for £145 with standard versions at £85. This may add some credence to the BR example also being a limited edition as set out in Ramsay.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
One further question on this that has been overlooked.

Is the model you are after presented in a wooden case?

If it is then it is limited.

If it is the model shown in the link below it probably is not as a price of £60 seems a bit low for a Bachmann limited edition:-

http://www.modellersloft.co.uk/showitem.ihtml?id=22866

If you are seriously after it then if you pick it up for £65 to £70 and it is mint you have probably got a good deal.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bachmann did produce a limited edition of green arrow in br green. it was produced to comemorate an ill fated event that was to be very similar to the railfest organised by the nrm. what it was exactly escapes me now ....anyway bachmann produced these models and the event was cancelled so they were put into normal boxes without certificates and sold to modelshops instead. hope this helps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts