Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would be very grateful if someone could advise me on this one. I have a fully working P class kit I was bought for my birthday. However, it has 3 link couplings, and I use the standard Hornby type. I want to add couplings to the P, but of course there are no easy mounting points? How could I do it best? Would I be better off using a piece of [ shaped wired at each end?

Oh yes, sorry for the quality, but here it is....

http://modelrailway.fotopic.net/p48382542.html

·
Registered
312 Posts
Shaped wire would be fine and it could be glued to the back of the bufferbeam, but as it probably won't push the hornby couplings reliably you might find a second small piece of straight wire glued to the back of the buffers, underneath helps prevent buffer lock on curves.
or
You could buy a pack of the small hornby or Bachmann couplings and araldite the coupling to a spacer that is also glued to the chassis, paint the bits black for low visibility.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (PaulRhB @ 5 Apr 2008, 19:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Shaped wire would be fine and it could be glued to the back of the bufferbeam, but as it probably won't push the hornby couplings reliably you might find a second small piece of straight wire glued to the back of the buffers, underneath helps prevent buffer lock on curves.
or
You could buy a pack of the small hornby or Bachmann couplings and araldite the coupling to a spacer that is also glued to the chassis, paint the bits black for low visibility.

Absolute genius. Thank you very much indeed. The engine will only be shunting what is a pretty straight yard, so buffer lock is unlikely to be an issue, but thank you for the "how to" with the wire coupling. Brilliant.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Not directly related to the topic but to the photo. Nice to see a model of Hodsons P "Pride of Sussex" This is of course preserved on the K&ESR, having spent many years working at the flour Mill at Robertsbridge.

Regards

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 7 Apr 2008, 13:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not directly related to the topic but to the photo. Nice to see a model of Hodsons P "Pride of Sussex" This is of course preserved on the K&ESR, having spent many years working at the flour Mill at Robertsbridge.

Regards

That was the exact reason we got it. Both my father and I are KESR volunteers, so liveried up as it is, it actually meant more to us than the equivalent BR or SR engine. It's also nice to see someone else in Thanet posting!!!!

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Fireline @ 8 Apr 2008, 17:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It's also nice to see someone else in Thanet posting!!!!

In that case watch out for dbclass50 and signal trainer - they are both Thanet based.

I was born in St Peters, but now live in Cliftonville, which part do you live in?

Regards

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 9 Apr 2008, 08:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>In that case watch out for dbclass50 and signal trainer - they are both Thanet based.

I was born in St Peters, but now live in Cliftonville, which part do you live in?

Regards

I am in Broadstairs, about five minutes from the station, and I get a good view of the steam specials when they pass the end of my road!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts