Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a class 101 DMU and it is havng problems getting up a slope on my layout. The slope is about 10ft long and it rises about 8 inches. The train can get up it going at full pelt, but not at a nice, gentle scale speed. Can i get traction tyres to put on the driving wheels of the train to help it a long? Will adding more weight help with the traction?

Thanks for any advice,

Pete.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
That's a fairly steep gradient !

First thing to check - is the track & wheels perfectly clean - i.e. no oil/greaase or anything else that could cause slippage ?

2nd thing - are all the other (non-powered) axels running freely & if there are any pick ups for coach lighting are they having a braking effect ?

You could try adding some weight.

Does the unit "grip" better in one direction ? If you have not try running the unit the "other way round". Sometimes it's worth a try !

Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, the track and train are both brand new so no chance of any grease. Its a good idea about checking the free running axles, I will have a look into that next time i am up there. The scotsman and the little BR steamer both plough up it with no problems, its just a shame that the train that needs to go up it, cant.

I am having the branch line ontop of a platform which covers over the eaves of the house. The main layout board is about 8 inches lower, so somehow it needs to get up it....

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm,

We did some thinking and I came up with a solution. The plan was to have a tunnel that went through the wall into the eaves of the house, where there would be a spiral that raised the track by the required 8 inches. The track would then go through the wall, and break out of another tunnelmouth at the top of the platform.

Unfortunatly, its not to be as there is a solid oak lintle thing that runs accross the top of the doors and obstructs the track. Theres no space for the spiral anyway whch is a shame, because the mystery of the train going in then disapearing from sight then reappearing at a totaly unexpected and unlogical location would be quite magical. Also the spiral would add a good 40 seconds of journy time inside the tunnel which would be nice too...

OOh well, have to think of something else...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good news - We have found a way round it :)

The track is still going to rise up, but its going to do about 3 inches in 8ft. at the three inch height it is then going to go round the corner (still sloping up slightly), following the other two lines. Once its past the curves it is going to gnetly do another 3 inches over about 6ft...

is that better?

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
That sounds better - try & keep the curves on level track though (curves on a slight gradiant are a bad as straight track on a steep gradiant if you see what I mean).

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE That's a fairly steep gradient ! I made this mistake on my first layout and spent a lot of time rectifying it. Ultimately I had to pull out my bridge and put a far less tall one in.

My new lay out by comparison has an incline of 7cm in 3m or 2 1/2 inches to 9feet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts