Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Do you have a Heritage or Historic railway in your region? If so, please let us know about it.

If any of you guys are over in France, perhaps for a holiday or business. Take some time off and visit some of these historical railways in my area (Picardie).

Le P'tit train de la Haute Somme 13 steam locos (4 in running order), 26 diesel locos (8 in running order).

Chemin de fer de la Baie de Somme 7 steam locos and 5 diesel locos.

Chemin de Fer Touristique du Vermandois (Internet site 2 with details and schedules) 3 steam locos, 1 diesel loco and a small collection of locotractors .

Just South of Picardie is the The Impressionists' Railway Museum:

Musée des Transports de la Vallée du Sausseron 9 steam locos and 5 diesel locos.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Dear Doug,

Thanks for the above - some appear quite different in some respects to UK heritage railways.

For those forum members overseas in particular, try www.heritagerailways.com to access most of the UK's preserved lines, steam centres and museums.
Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
521 Posts
What a LOVELY set of photos!
The top one looks incredibly like something from a Rev W Audley book - absolutely delightful!
Il fait mes délices

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
I paid a visit to the home of this loco last Saturday (June 3rd).

I'll let you guess where it is based..

David

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 8 Jun 2006, 18:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I paid a visit to the home of this loco last Saturday (June 3rd).

I'll let you guess where it is based..

David

New Romney at a guess. One of my all time favourite lines, been there a couple of times this year (its only 30m from Margate).

Is that your favourite loco on the line ? (mine happens to be Black Prince - my "handle probably would give that away).

Nice pic (& I especially liked the Tram Loco in the first set - now what would it be called in French).

Enjoy the weather (& the football) everyone.

regards
Brian

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
>New Romney at a guess
You've got the Railway right, but this photo was taken at Dungeness.

>Is that your favourite loco on the line ?
It was the loco pulling our train. The guidebook says that this loco - "Hercules" - was the loco which hauled the train which officially opened the railway back in the twenties.

Unlike you we are more than 30 minutes from Hythe, and an awful lot more if you decide to turn south down the M23 and then cut across from the end of the A272 and onto through the middle of The Weald. It was very pretty but time consuming. If I was to visit again, I think I would head for New Romney as we didn't get time to visit the model railway there.

David

·
Registered
122 Posts
QUOTE (Rail-Rider @ 8 Jun 2006, 17:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What a LOVELY set of photos!
The top one looks incredibly like something from a Rev W Audley book - absolutely delightful!
Il fait mes délices

Yes and so too does the bottom one and Toby The Tram, also by Revd. Awdry

Re Preserved and/or Heritage railways, there is a forum and website I can inform you of. The forum is http://preservedlines.myfreeforum.org and http://www.freewebs.com/bramleylinesupporters for anybody to join and view. the forum has been running for over a month with 2 members and the website has plenty of information about the proposed and to be reopened line in Cambridgeshire, between Wisbech and March.

·
Registered
122 Posts
QUOTE (Dennis David @ 13 Jun 2006, 18:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm afraid to go to that site. I'll only make want to go to the UK more often!

WHICH one? Those I said about now below again, or others?

Re Preserved and/or Heritage railways, there is a forum and website I can inform you of. The forum is http://preservedlines.myfreeforum.org and http://www.freewebs.com/bramleylinesupporters for anybody to join and view. the forum has been running for over a month with 2 members and the website has plenty of information about the proposed and to be reopened line in Cambridgeshire, between Wisbech and March.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I am more than delighted to inform you all that despite not many looking at the Bramley Line Supporters website, work HAS in fact been started in clearing the line of vegetation, in order to see exactly what work is needed to make it usable for operating trains on again. There is a supposed 'Friends of the line' website, but all their information is secondhand and taken from the Supporters site, or he simply just wants to slag the committee off. The rest of his information is made up from what they learn from the press.

·
Registered
763 Posts
When we were in France on holiday a couple of years back we tried to visit a preserved line and I think it was the Chemin de fer touristique du Vermandois. It was closed unfortunately(as was everywhere else!) I think it must've been a holiday in remembrance of the Normandy landings as it was the weekend of the 60th anniversary.
I also recall seeing a flyer for the Baie de Somme one and if I remember correctly it is twinned with the Kent and East Sussex railway which we did manage to visit on the way home.
My main recollection of trying to find the one in France was getting lost on the way there and back as the French seem to still be in war mode when it comes to the basics of road signs.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts