Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been collecting lms and gwr plus other assorted items since 2002 and had loft converted in 2003 but still not started on building my layout tho have lots track plans

looking at 12ft by 6ft with tunnels for track to disapear into the eaves, the eaves are boreded with access doors so will proberly lay track on raised bed behind eves so they come out of tunnel other side of layout , now one question

most of my locos are bachmann / hornby/mainline and date from 80`s onwards and some are new hornby and bachmann but not dcc ready so should i go for dcc convertion as my model shop suggests or stick with anologe ?
they will supply the digital unit and fit the chips for £10 on each loco the chips will be free if i but the box off them
not sure on value of old mallard etc hornby locos and mainline ones so is it worth converting to the new digital age?

thx for a great forum and hope to show progress of my layout when start building durin the winter months

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Hi Tornado, welcome to the forum.

I would recommend DCC but would suggest that you try it and see what it does first. there are a lot of systems out there so you want to do a bit of research first before you jump in.

Look forward to seeing your layout develop.

Cheers

Neil

·
Registered
894 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Definately check whats out there, but consider if you need it. I don't have DCC yet but have been looking at it. I could benefit from it as I have to shunt locos about sometimes, but I have a large collection and so any change will have to be gradual, hence the hessitation on my part. If you benefit from DCC operation then go for it, before you get too much stock!

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (tornado @ 27 Sep 2008, 07:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>been collecting lms and gwr plus other assorted items since 2002 and had loft converted in 2003 but still not started on building my layout tho have lots track plans

looking at 12ft by 6ft with tunnels for track to disapear into the eaves, the eaves are boreded with access doors so will proberly lay track on raised bed behind eves so they come out of tunnel other side of layout , now one question

most of my locos are bachmann / hornby/mainline and date from 80`s onwards and some are new hornby and bachmann but not dcc ready so should i go for dcc convertion as my model shop suggests or stick with anologe ?
they will supply the digital unit and fit the chips for £10 on each loco the chips will be free if i but the box off them
not sure on value of old mallard etc hornby locos and mainline ones so is it worth converting to the new digital age?

thx for a great forum and hope to show progress of my layout when start building durin the winter months

***Be careful - That price seems just too good to be true, and probably means the bottom end of everything quality wise. A wrong decision as to decoder brand and controller brand will bring you lots of disappointment.

Richard

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Welcome! As an intimate member of the A1 trust, I've got to know why you chose that "handle"?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (60134 @ 27 Sep 2008, 16:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Welcome! As an intimate member of the A1 trust, I've got to know why you chose that "handle"?

tornado is from the r.a.f tornado f1 and gr1-4 fighter/bombers oh and the loco lol tho is nickname have used for yrs in chat

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thx guys for the welcome
after lot of thought will go dcc on my newer locos and maybe buy a set with the dcc controler and few locos in box ready to run,

will add two seperate tracks on my layout for anolouge locos like my earlier non dcc ready and bachmann and mainline locos as seems shame to open them then find carnt convert them or they cause probs when at min all run fantastic on test layout

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Hi Tornado and welcome to MRF.

I can see that one or two of us are going to have to work on your company allegiance - but hey - that's life.

Regards

1 - 8 of 8 Posts