Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

This is my first foray into the world of model railways

I've got a quick really daft question (probably one of many!).

I've got a pre-built baseboard, with a plywood surface. I'm going to be using the Hornby trakmat, but was wondering what it the best method to attach the mat to the baseboard?

Cheers in advance!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Hi may i first say welcome to the forum.

I would need to know what the trackmat is made of really before i can advise you on how to stick it down.

There a couple of ways to do it (depending on material)
1, Use pva glue spread all over the baseboard where the mat is going making sure to weight it all down until it dries (about 24 hours)

2, You could also use evo-stick impact adhesive but it depends again on the type of material the mat is made of.

Kind regards
Paul

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply.

I'm sure the trakmat is just a paper one (got it with the Blue Pullman Train set).

Thanks again

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Hi & welcome to MRF - BTW - there is no such thing as a daft question on MRF (one or two of us may be a bit daft.....)

I would stick the trackmat down with some lightly thinned PVA & as Paul says make sure that it is weighted down.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 14 Nov 2008, 12:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>(one or two of us may be a bit daft.....)

Only one or two........with thee and me and all the others.

Having said that welcome to the forum and enjoy the hobby now you've arrived.

On the subject of the trackmat isn't it a similar polythene to heavy duty carrier bags?

Regards

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hi Wish and welcome to the MRF.

NEVER, EVER be afraid to ask a question here, no matter how daft you may think it is.

We all had to start somewhere and it was only by asking daft questions that we progressed in the hobby. That's not to say that we don't still ask daft questions ourselves sometimes. Everyone here is very friendly and is more that willing to pass on the benefits of their own experience and knowledge so just ask away and someone will be along with the answer.

Enjoy your modelling

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your replies everyone, and for the friendly welcome

I'm sure I'll have some more questions in time......

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
G'day and hello

If your trackmat is paper (and probably plastic) I would suggest spray adhesive. It wont be absorbed by the paper and wont buckle it, also if you spray one surface only, it is remountable (you can peel it off with out damage. Spray both surfaces for permament adhesion) There are usually directions on the can. Give your ply a good clean to get rid of dust, and if you are keen, give it a coat or two of a waterbased undercoat. If you want more info, just ask.

Cheers Bluey

PS in order to get your trackmate square on your board, place a roller longer than your width (I use an old cardboard roller from a holland blind, dowel is a bit too narrow) in the centre of the board and flip half the work back over the roller (a couple of bulldog clips can help hold the paper on the "sitting half"), spray on the adhesive, allow to go tacky then use the roller to put the paper down gradually from the centre. Repeat for the other side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts