Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to everyone! My name is Dave and I am a regular across a number of mainly Land Rover related forums, this being my main hobby. However a recent returner to model railways, I have also been posting in the NRM forums under the name '80064'

I am a subscriber to the superb Hornby magazine and this is keeping my interest going although I have not done much on my layout with decorating taking priority at the moment!

My layout is a 4'x1' micro called Borough Road Sidings and is essentially a standard inglenook design with an additional storage siding for locos, set in the year before the start of WW2 at a south London industrial complex. I am trying to make the layout as cheaply as possible using free or virtually free materials, second hand stock (or gifted new ones!), and in the main Hornby stuff aside from scenery.

Look forward to chatting trains!

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Hi Dave & welcome to MRF.

I have a Land Rover - a IIB Forward Control ex Army Fire Service - bit of a brute to drive. At the moment it has no brakes at all so not currently on the road

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 19 Mar 2008, 18:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Dave & welcome to MRF.

I have a Land Rover - a IIB Forward Control ex Army Fire Service - bit of a brute to drive. At the moment it has no brakes at all so not currently on the road

Hello! Excellent cjoice of Landy I may say! You in the Series 2 Club?? Always fancied one of those but I am not allowed....

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 19 Mar 2008, 18:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a Land Rover - a IIB Forward Control ex Army Fire Service - bit of a brute to drive.

I would just like to point out that apart from looking after the scenery on St. Laurent I also seem to be chief Land Rover polisher, paint toucher upper and general cosmetic engineer on said vehicle.

Oh and by the way Dave (what a good name that is!), welcome to the forum, i look forward to your input.

Regards

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (screwy @ 20 Mar 2008, 12:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello! Excellent cjoice of Landy I may say! You in the Series 2 Club?? Always fancied one of those but I am not allowed....

To be honest I've been to quite a few Land Rover events with the unweildly beast but never been made to feel welcome so I gave up the whole "cub" scene.

Very challenging vehicle to restore though !

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 20 Mar 2008, 13:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I would just like to point out that apart from looking after the scenery on St. Laurent I also seem to be chief Land Rover polisher, paint toucher upper and general cosmetic engineer on said vehicle.

Well, with the Easter weekend upon us time for you to get busy !

I may even let you drive it when the brakes have been fixed................ just thought, maybe you'd like a drive now

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 20 Mar 2008, 17:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well, with the Easter weekend upon us time for you to get busy !

Have you looked out of the window in the last half hour?

Regards

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the welcomes chaps and if you're landy folk this must be a good place!
Sad to hear of bad club days, but there you go, some folks are odd at times. I have always been welcome but then I dont suffer fools gladly....

IN the throes of changing ISP so will be back soon for a better read.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Welcome, Screwy. It sounds as though you will fit in here just fine.
Everyone is very welcoming and helpful .

Regards,
PeteD

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again for the warm welcomes, appreciated! I have now got my new ISP up and running and have started trawling through the place. One quick Q though, is there a place for showing off/having ridiculed one's own terrible efforts at modelling?

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE One quick Q though, is there a place for showing off/having ridiculed one's own terrible efforts at modelling?

To some extent, the Forum you choose is up to you. If it's an individual model you're putting together from a kit or from scratch, I would suggest the "work bench". For a layout or parts of a layout then use the Track / Layouts forum.

Photos of models are always well received.

You could also consider starting a blog if you think it's going to be something you'll add to. Neil Wood's blog is an excellent example of how to log progress on building up a great layout.

David

1 - 11 of 11 Posts