Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people. I'm Al, just found the site and joined.
I caught the model railway bug from my dad many years ago. Spent years modelling 4mm LNER, but in recent years moved into 2mm Epoch II German. Loads of stock, but no layout at the moment due to space but planning on start one soon.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (stracyznski @ 28 Nov 2007, 21:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>into 2mm Epoch II German. Loads of stock, but no layout at the moment due to space but planning on start one soon.

Hi Al and welcome to the forum, that story seems familiar. Yet another of us strange continental modellers eh?

Regards

·
Registered
37 Posts
QUOTE (stracyznski @ 28 Nov 2007, 21:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello people. I'm Al, just found the site and joined.
I caught the model railway bug from my dad many years ago. Spent years modelling 4mm LNER, but in recent years moved into 2mm Epoch II German. Loads of stock, but no layout at the moment due to space but planning on start one soon.

Hi Al, why german railways? I looked at continental layouts but its would be too big a change, I don't think my bank balance could take the hit!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (zedbob @ 30 Nov 2007, 17:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Al, why german railways? I looked at continental layouts but its would be too big a change, I don't think my bank balance could take the hit!
I like the look of there Austrity Locos. And setting the layout in 43/44 alows me to combine two interests of mine...

·
Registered
574 Posts
QUOTE (adecoaches26point4 @ 2 Dec 2007, 09:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>How come that bridge is still in one peice

More a case of how come it's there at all.

Not much left of it these days.

When I eventually get round to building my layout, the bridge will form one of the main features..

·
Administrator
9,856 Posts
If you like railway bridges, get yourself to Warley (probably a bit late now as it closes at 5pm this afternoon). There seem to be a lot of big river bridges on display this year. I don't know if it's a deliberate theme or not but it's great to see them.

David

·
Registered
296 Posts
And here I thought I was speaking to a regular, stracyznski, didn't realise you were green like me!
How nice.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Is there a replacement bridge over another part of the river and what's the remains of that other bridge to the right of the original one?

·
Registered
574 Posts
QUOTE (poliss @ 2 Dec 2007, 12:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is there a replacement bridge over another part of the river and what's the remains of that other bridge to the right of the original one?
The bridge was never rebuilt. As far as I know you have to go south to Bendorf and north to Koln before there's another rail bridge.

The little 'bridge' to the right is the remains of an old jetty...

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (Kimbo @ 2 Dec 2007, 12:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>And here I thought I was speaking to a regular, stracyznski, didn't realise you were green like me!
How nice.

Yep. Newby too. Only joined a couple od days age...

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I've just been reading on Wikipedia that the reason the bridge wasn't rebuilt is because the local people thought it would 'spoil the view'. I would have thought that a Railway bridge would enhance the view, not spoil it!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Considering what the view is now... I don't really see what's been spoilt!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts